BSA Mercury Smoking!

Picked up a mk4 mercury today - my first springer! The barrel is full of smoke after the pellet has left! This cant be right :icon_redface: ?

How do I sort this?

Cheers,

T.

My first thought is that it is due to oil/grease residue inside the piston/spring bore - see if you can clean the bore out at all mate? You could get someone who is confident to do a strip down, clean and re-assembly i guess, or if you are confident enough you could do it yourself? :hmm:

Failing all else, take it to a gun shop - i am not sure what the charge will be, mind you. :o

Regards,

Grim.

Its dieseling in the compression chamber,we used to pour oil in as kids in the mistaken belief that the resultant sonic-crack and belch of smoke meant our BSA meteors were performing at FAC levels :victory:

Picked up a mk4 mercury today - my first springer! The barrel is full of smoke after the pellet has left! This cant be right :icon_redface: ?

How do I sort this?

Cheers,

T.

My first thought is that it is due to oil/grease residue inside the piston/spring bore - see if you can clean the bore out at all mate? You could get someone who is confident to do a strip down, clean and re-assembly i guess, or if you are confident enough you could do it yourself? :hmm:

Failing all else, take it to a gun shop - i am not sure what the charge will be, mind you. :o

Regards,

Grim.

Grim,

The rifle has stood for 15 years and only had a few plinks before that. I'll bang some through and see what happens. May strip and see what's inside if it gets no better. I'll see if there is a how to on the net!

T.