Slipping Methods when it comes to Lamping

Guest world.hunters

Guest world.hunters

when walking to a sqatting rabbit do you like to

-slip from a good distance before rabbit moves

-if possible walk close and slip from a short distance before rabbit moves

-walk as close as you can and slip as soon as you see the rabbit move.

i normally slip my dog before they move and he has taken alot before they move but as you will know sometimes they can dummy the dog good. but then i have walked up and sliped my dog as soon as they make a run and he will just cut the gap and pick them up without a turn.

whats your prefered method.

W.h

Edited by world.hunters

i also like nailing the squatters. saves on energy.

to save time and energy i always let the dog run the beam to a squatter, she knows better than me on how to approach and strike. it also means you can stay on the hedge and get straight on to the next once shes brought it back. it also prevents spooking all the others so much.

Guest world.hunters

iv got to admit i do like taking squatters its good watching the dog but sometimes i think its abit boring lol and think to myself i wish it ran so that i get to see a good course.

w.h

AFRAID LADS ,

THATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LADS HUNTING FOR MONEY AND LADS HUNTING FOR SPORT ..................

AS A KID IT WAS DRUMMED INTO ME TO MAKE THE CATCH AS EASY AS POSSIBLE FOR THE DOG ......

AN UNTIRED DOG = MORE GAME

AND PROBABLY WHY VERY FEW LURCHERS ARE HARD TESTED THESE DAYS AS MOST ARE JUST SPUN OUT ON THE ODD DOZEN THEN HOME ............... THE REASON THERES SO MANY CRAP DOGS ABOUT LURCHER WISE AS THESE UNTESTED DOGS ARE THEN BRED OFF

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

Guest hpool_hunter

slipping from a distance for me :thumbs: ...

when bringing on the dog , slipping close up i do , but nothing like watching a good old course when the dog as seen something in the distance and its rearing to go , just a little slip of the finger , and away he goes , top speed and bang on it , closing in , turning , , its marvalous lol :boogie: , whats the sport in just picking up squatters , any dog can pick up a squatter , but can any dog be turned in and out , taking to far afeild and still catch , thats the sport i like to watch :thumbs:

Guest joe ox

Variety is the spice of life :yes:

Hpool_hunter I have to disagree with you about any dog being able to pick up squatters most dogs gain the ability to see them squatting but not all become proficient at picking game out of there seat.

Guest hpool_hunter
Variety is the spice of life :yes:

Hpool_hunter I have to disagree with you about any dog being able to pick up squatters most dogs gain the ability to see them squatting but not all become proficient at picking game out of there seat.

point taking JO OX , :thumbs:

As soon as the dog sees the quarry let it go, if there's a choice between a difficult run and an easy run, give it the difficult one. It's then up to the dog to work the quarry. Imo, its all about testing the dog and building on its abilities and stamina not about catch rates, with testing comes improved abilities and then catch rates. You then truely know your dogs capabilities and worth