My new ferret from Germany

Well - I would still love to have a Uk ferret.... Any one got a ferret with a good lineage?

Depends what you mean by lineage. A ferrets a ferret the way I look at it, there's a big enough ferret population here to ensure healthy genes, so most ferrets don't come with paperwork, come to think of it, I've never heard of a ferret having papers in the UK. Good lineage to most ferreters on here would be in the working ability of the animals, not how many shows that their parents/grandparents, etc, had won.

Well... I don't buy ferrets because their parents won lots of shows. That's not important when buying ferrets. Actually it's irrelevant.

When I write lineage i mean: Good health in the family. Parents, grandparents and so on. As long as possible.

Cancer-free lineage prefered. You see, here in DK we have alot of health issues with our ferrets. Even when keeping them outside, on raw meat and fertile as long as possible. Their genes still have defects, and make them ill in young age. THIS I want to breed out of them.

That's the reason why I gladly will travel to Germany to get good lineage, or UK, or Norway an so on...

I might seem insane to you. To go all the way to Germany for a simpel ferret that you could get for free around the corner.

But life is not like this in DK. I've got 5 ferrets. 2 of theise are only 4 years old, but both well on their way to becoming sick of cancer.

Inlarged spleens, kidney, lymfegland.. This is daily life in DK. and very common i'm afraid.

My insanity, well, if you lived here, and loves ferrets as much as I. Then it's not insane to go a long way to improve the ferret health in DK. Cause it's really poor.

I'm not sure my post is correctly spelled or makes any sence. But I hope you understand what I mean anyways.

I dont think you should face any criticism for caring for your animals. If you think you can give your future pets a better quality of life by breeding, then best of luck to you.

I am sorry that illness is so common in DK. Fortunately it is not as common here.

I care deepley for all my anmals, i have 2 dogs 11 and 12 years old, 4 ferrets and 2 fish. I dare not even think of the day the family looses any of them.

We have recently lost our 15 year old cat and a ferret. We almost had a week of mourning each time.

Yes, my animals work, but i hope they do it because they want to, and beacause they enjoy it. They eat better than we do. My wife is an ex race horse trainer (for 10 years) and is even worse than me.

Matt

Matt

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic