WHY???????????????????????????????????????

Guest SPIFF

Guest SPIFF

THIS IS A SERIOUS QUESTION FOR PEOPLE WHO BREED TERRIERS FOR SHOWING.

THIS IS NOT A THREAD AGAINST SHOWS AS THEY PROMOTE THE SPORT BUT WHEN THE "NAMES"THAT ALL TERRIERMEN HEAR ALL THE TIME BREED PRIMARILY FOR CONFORMATION WHY DON T THEY GO DOWN THE KC LINE INSTEAD OF RUINING GOOD WORKING LINES.

THIS IS A SERIOUS QUESTION PUT OUT TO FOLKS WHO PRACTICE THIS OR TO SOMEONE WHO MAY SHED SOME LIGHT ON THE MATTER,AS I HAVEN T GOT A FLIPPING CLUE WHAT POSSESSES PEOPLE TO BREED SHITE JUST BECAUSE IT LOOKS GOOD.

THIS IS NOT A THREAD AGAINST SHOWS AS THEY PROMOTE THE SPORT BUT WHEN THE "NAMES"THAT ALL TERRIERMEN HEAR ALL THE TIME BREED PRIMARILY FOR CONFORMATION WHY DON T THEY GO DOWN THE KC LINE INSTEAD OF RUINING GOOD WORKING LINES.

THIS IS A SERIOUS QUESTION PUT OUT TO FOLKS WHO PRACTICE THIS OR TO SOMEONE WHO MAY SHED SOME LIGHT ON THE MATTER,AS I HAVEN T GOT A FLIPPING CLUE WHAT POSSESSES PEOPLE TO BREED SHITE JUST BECAUSE IT LOOKS GOOD.

My guess it would be financially motivated :thumbdown:

I do know people who do it for financial motivation, although they do work their dogs. I think the best thing to do is look at the positives - that (like you say) the work of working terriers and lurchers is being promoted at these shows and even those people who only show aren't "anti's". Hopefully, if they do breed crap dogs, no one will buy them, but I think their intentions are good - to breed a type that is capable of the job intended and that is what a good judge should look for.

On the flip side, my dogs are excellent ratters, but would be laughed out of a show ring.

Don i don t know enough about the KC to have a problem with them my beef is not with fella s working kc dogs but with fellas breeding workingdogs primarily for show.I just read a book and 2 of the "hard "dogs mentioned in it walked off there work.But theyre famous for their looks :doh:

i agree with ya totally mate . you khow that old saying [beauty is in the eye of the beholder ] well if you see a dog work well it looks the buisiness , if you breed working dogs for show but you do not work them ,how on earth do you know what you looking for ! take the bulldog for example...

Thats a very true saying some of the ugliest certainly get a special look about them after a hard dig.If you happen to have a nice terrier that works to a high standard then brilliant but theres not many looking at your dog when your tramping fields and bogs with a thick coat on them and covered in cattle excrement.After walking a few mile with the wind in your face to a burrow and your rossette winner wants none of it,how nice is it then?? :whistling: