SOUND MODERATORS LEGAL SAFE KEEPING?

hi, does anyone know with a proofed mod, signed on my ticket does it need to be locked up in a gun safe or a lockable container or can it be left unsecured??

not that im 100% sure, but i reckon they have to be locked up as if used on a firearm they have to be put on a slot & when a new one is bought the FEO has to be notified. i have 3 mods, 2 are on my rifles and the other stays locked up in the top ammo box when not in use..

best to keep them locked up just incase...

rich

hi, does anyone know with a proofed mod, signed on my ticket does it need to be locked up in a gun safe or a lockable container or can it be left unsecured??

not that im 100% sure, but i reckon they have to be locked up as if used on a firearm they have to be put on a slot & when a new one is bought the FEO has to be notified. i have 3 mods, 2 are on my rifles and the other stays locked up in the top ammo box when not in use..

best to keep them locked up just incase...

rich

If you need a space on your ticket to have it, you need to keep it in the same manner as anything else.

Same goes (more obviously) for a spare barrel (i.e. I have a Blaser R93 with two separate barrels, both with mods - all has to go in the safe).

As said, a Moderator is a Separate firearm on your FAC. I have two Rifles and two Moderators so I have four firearms.

Each has to be secure. I normally keep mine separated from the rifles on the shelf in my Gun cabinet.

The bolts from the rifles are in the ammo safe by the way.

Regards

SS :thumbs:

As said, a Moderator is a Separate firearm on your FAC. I have two Rifles and two Moderators so I have four firearms.

Each has to be secure. I normally keep mine separated from the rifles on the shelf in my Gun cabinet.

The bolts from the rifles are in the ammo safe by the way.

Regards

SS :thumbs:

Keeping the bolts in the ammo safe is a good idea.

Hmmm... I'm not sure I agree with this. It is definitely arguable that you should lock it up as it's on-ticket. BUT ... air rifle silencers obviously don't. Now, all my moderators are down as unmarked, unnumbered. So, who's to say which goes with which rifle? My mods often do more than one, and anything 1/2 UNF does go on the air rifle as well.

To my mind, the moderator becomes section 1 when used on your rifle, and as such the entry on your ticket merely means you've bought one. It's a massive grey area AFAIK, and since I don't have space for the moderators, they live on a shelf above. They're harmless so as far as I'm concerned, that'll do.

when the firearms officer came round to renew my shotgun ticket he noted it down that I had a hushpower silencer on my .410..not the full barrel type but the one that fits on the end that you can unscrew.....don't know why???

cheers millie.

it sounds abit silly because what can a silencer do on its own :icon_eek: but law is law.

if you have them on ticket then they MUST be in the cabinet to as its classed as a firearm

i dont leave them on the rifle as the unburnt powder or the crap thats left over in the mod can come back down onto your crown of the rifle and rot it away. and for the sake of unscrewing it i would do that.

it will save you money in the long run otherwise over time you could need a cut and recrown to your rifle.

i keep bolts in top locker with ammo just to be safe and where i rest the rifles in on the main compartment i stand the mods up on there timber where the rifle barrels go into :gunsmilie:

it sounds abit silly because what can a silencer do on its own :icon_eek: but law is law.

if you have them on ticket then they MUST be in the cabinet to as its classed as a firearm

i dont leave them on the rifle as the unburnt powder or the crap thats left over in the mod can come back down onto your crown of the rifle and rot it away. and for the sake of unscrewing it i would do that.

it will save you money in the long run otherwise over time you could need a cut and recrown to your rifle.

i keep bolts in top locker with ammo just to be safe and where i rest the rifles in on the main compartment i stand the mods up on there timber where the rifle barrels go into :gunsmilie:

you could use it as a pea shooter!!!!

can these be locked in a cupboard or does it have to be a safe?

you could use it as a pea shooter!!!!

can these be locked in a cupboard or does it have to be a safe?

law is the law mate you do what you want. but for 10 seconds worth of putting them in cabinet then you have no worrys if the flo comes to your house :whistling: