:hmm: Ok ..Section 14 Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981...in simple terms this says it is illegal to introduce into the wild any non native animal, to this country!

The CWD is not native...now.... for some time shooters have done their best to control this little animal, but the Government, last year introduced a Season for the CWD.

I am a little confused, Defra, the Forestry Commission, etc, etc are actively involved in trying to rid this country of the Non native Grey Squirrel, but introduce a Season to protect this much more recently introduced Non Native species, the CWD.

I must have missed something ....can someone please explain this dichotomy please?? :hmm:

I wasnt aware the season for CWD had changed ,I thought you could still shoot them all year round same as munties ...

Unless this came in with the last legislation , where minimum calibre was changed ??

Please enlighten me ??????

I wasnt aware the season for CWD had changed ,I thought you could still shoot them all year round same as munties ...

Unless this came in with the last legislation , where minimum calibre was changed ??

Please enlighten me ??????

Yes chap

Came in with last years changes...also lists on Game Seasons IanB has pinned above, which is where I nicked this...

Species Sex England,N Ireland, Wales Scotland

Red Stags Aug 1st - April 30th July 1st - Oct 20th

Hinds Nov 1st - March 31st Oct 21st - Feb 15th

Fallow Bucks Aug 1st - April 30th Aug 1st - April 30th

Does Nov 1st - March 31st Oct 21st - Feb 15th

Sika Stags Aug 1st - April 30th July 1st - Oct 20th

Hinds Nov 1st - March 31st Oct 21st Feb 15th

Roe Bucks April 1st - Oct 31st April 1st - Oct 20th

Does Nov 1st - March 31st Oct 21st - Mar 31st

Red/Sika Hybrids Stags Aug 1st - April 30th (NI only) July 1st - Oct 20th

Hinds Nov 1st - March 31st( NI only) Oct 21st - Feb 15th

Chinese Water Deer Bucks Nov 1st - March 31st

Does Nov 1st - March 31st

Muntjac No Closed Season**

Edited by Deker
  • 3 weeks later...
I am a little confused, Defra, the Forestry Commission, etc, etc are actively involved in trying to rid this country of the Non native Grey Squirrel, but introduce a Season to protect this much more recently introduced Non Native species, the CWD.

I must have missed something ....can someone please explain this dichotomy please?? :hmm:

I believe they did this to protect the CWD young during the breeding season for welfare reasons rather than protecting the species as a whole, i.e. to reduce the chance of taking a deer that has dependent young. As they are quite difficult to distinguish between the sexes they made the season the same for both male and female.

Muntjac breed all year round so there is no point in having seasons for them.

Guest Deerstalker

[The CWD and the munties are now recognized with the deerstalking community as assets and this is reflected in the CWD getting seasons . The deer stalking hierarchy were consulted on this matter and put the changes forward . I agree with them as if we really had wanted rid of them the CWD could be wiped out easy .This will not happen because they are protected by the land owners and the chaps that own the staking rights because of the large revenue they bring . :victory:

[The CWD and the munties are now recognized with the deerstalking community as assets and this is reflected in the CWD getting seasons . The deer stalking hierarchy were consulted on this matter and put the changes forward . I agree with them as if we really had wanted rid of them the CWD could be wiped out easy .This will not happen because they are protected by the land owners and the chaps that own the staking rights because of the large revenue they bring . :victory:

I hear what you say and totally understand it...just goes to show finances outway the law though!

An introduced species now being protected despite Section 14 Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981..a serious case of double standards!! :thumbs::hmm::hmm:

Edited by Deker

CWD are indeed a very profitable species (along with muntjac) last time i spoke with a professional stalker he was telling me about the number of foreigners (americans and arabs mostly) that were paying to come and shoot these two, it was increasing that side of his business vastly..........he did tell me about one arab that ate the liver raw and warm from one CWD :icon_eek:

this is the 1st i have heard or read about it if they going to move the goal posts i think they should let us all know about the changes in the law in the sporting press or through the british deer society

foxkiller1968...chap....it was in every shooting magazine I can think of and is listed on the Game seasons of the BASC, CA, BDS etc etc as well as the Game seasons listed on this very site.. THL!

Cheers