What does a Silver Mitt look like?

Why cant you breed silver to silver? :hmm:

do a search on silvers, you'll get loads of info on pro's and con's,

my advice has always been DONT, but this year, I had an un-planned mating of silver to silver, my first reaction was to knock them on the head, but Im a softie with ferts and could'ent, out of the twelve kitts, i have one very tiny runt, that had to be brought into the house for 3 days tlc, but she's still going strong at nearly 4 months old, and holds her own against bigger siblings, although a hob from the same litter, and as small as her, was on deaths door for a while, got it too the vets and payed £50 ish for injections and course of antibiotics, only for him to die last week,

now everyone has on occassion lost a kitt/s at birth, but at 12 weeks, makes me think it was something to do with the silver to silver mating

I had a litter of silvers here yrs ago, not bred here , the jills turned out to be deaf & the hobs who didnt show the silver colouring were sickly & none lived more than a few yrs with various health problems, that was a silver to silver mating

As far as i am concerned this colour thing is very ''American'' and apart from albino & polecat anything inbetween is just coloured

the list will go on forever

chololate

sable

blaze

sandy

copper blah blah blah

show stuff pure & simple :hmm:

do a simple google search & see the different specinines thats all come under one colour heading

it shouldnt effect the working ability

We don't use the amarican definations in denmark.

We only have:

sable (from very dark to very light)

sandy

albino

silver

black

thats it, blaze, panda, mitts etc goes as markings.

So I'm not always sure about colours like royal orange, chololate (never heard about copper) because we simply don't use those definitions, and I'm glad we don't, must be a jungle sometimes :icon_eek:

Same with b.e.w.s they shouldn't be bred together apperntly .My jills just came back in but my hobs also her brother they bred some crazy colours bred to other ferrets but thats just a show craze no worth the hassel

i think what you are talking about is waardenburg syndrome.caused by faulty gene usually carried by black eyed whites and ferrets with bibs,mitts or stripes.if ferrets carrying these genes breed then their offspring could be born deaf or with cleft paletes or even missing limbs or tails.breeders should avoid breeding the above mentioned to reduce the risk.