Ferreting

We decided to have a wee shot today just ferreting one field next to a railway banking we thought a couple of hours would cover it and we might even get a few rabbits .The first bury way a two holer under the boundry hedge and it ended with a two foot dig five yards into the field for two rat sized rabbits . The next bury was under a big tree in the hedge and rond two huts a rabbit bolted out the cover and ,the lurcher lost it in the cover Oh the joys of ferreting . The next burrow was a foot dig down to two half grow youngsters . We tried a few more burrows just to show willing as the farmer was watching but the dogs didn't mark them up ,by then we had enough as it was getting two hot for the dogs and ferrets . Then on the way back to the car the spanniel flushed a pheasant and the lurcher lost another rabbit in the heavy cover .

But i had a great day it took me back to the 70's ferreting in a t/shirt and a 14 year old saying he's the champ as his two rabbits where bigger than mine :D

Sounds like you had a good little trip! :thumbs:

Me and my mate, across the road went for a little mooch earlier, just a handful of nets, two ferrets & our two little JRTs. More so that the dogs could get an idea about things because they're young. (9 Months)

The dogs marked the first bury we came to, put the ferret in & waited. After a few minutes we heard a squeal, and seen a coney in one of the nets. We ran to grab it, & my Jill Poppy came up behind it & dragged the fecker back down the hole! :wallbash: No digging, as the sets are largely made up of rocks. We'd fed the ferrets up earlier on, so we didn't have to wait for longer than 10 minutes for her to surface.

Moved on to the next one that the dogs marked, and we decided to use the hob, as he's not as efficient at dispatching rabbits, and we were rewarded with two 1/2 grown bolters out of the same hole. Both dogs went to grab the one in the net for a split second, before my bitch saw the other one heading towards another hole. She was about a foot behind the little bugger as he dived down the hole, through the net to safety!

Didn't do any more, as it was mainly just a walk out with the young dogs, a sort of taster session, to give them a bit of an idea. We were well pleased with the dogs, as their marking was good for a first time out with the stinkers, and we at least got a meal for my mates litter of kits across the road. :thumbs:

So is it ok to start going ferreting now or will there just be a load of digging to do

Feed you ferrets up well before you go out, and you should have no problem. Ferreting can be done this time of year, but it's not very sporting. But if your ferrets need a feed, or it's pest control, crack on! :thumbs: Just my opinion though!