Ratting questions/DIY smoker.

My questions don't seem to be answered in the usual online literature so i thought i'd ask.. The ratting dogs live in a garage built onto the house in cages, but during the evening are allowed into the house. They'd never been worked before but when we found a big fat rat in the garden the other day they knew what to do and sorted it sharpish! We want to try and do a bit more ratting for something to do but i wondered what people do about cleaning their dogs after?

I've been on that ratting.co.uk site and seen a few pictures where people are holding all their dogs after for pictures? Surely if there's that many rats theres bound to be p*** everywhere? And how can you disinfect a JR with a longer coat, that's got to be a pain. I just don't want to spread weils all over the place and put the dogs and us even more at risk.

Here's a pic of my half built smoker i did yesterday, it's just a first attempt so be kind!

15072008.jpg

Sadly the cable wasn't long enough to have the trigger the other way round so i had to put it back on the same way as it came, it's not the end of the world though. I'm just waiting for my mates dad to weld me up a little bracket to go over the exhaust so i can fix the pipes. I also need a handle over the petrol tank.

15072008001.jpg

EDIT..

This is the exhaust part my mates dad knocked up today for me.. He did a good job really!

16072008001.jpg

16072008.jpg

16072008003.jpg

Edited by glamour

Nice smoker mate :thumbs:

Looks quite heavy though?

I'm making one at the moment, its from a small chainsaw.

Got it running just need to attach a pipe to the exhaust.

Is there another way than just welding it?

Butch

It's not too bad mate, you can hold it out at arms length by just the handle.. I might put a strap on after. I was looking at chainsaws and hedge trimmers but couldn't find one cheap enough so i just got this strimmer. Does the exhaust muffler on yours have a bit of pipe sticking out or is it flat? Mine's flat and also aluminium so welding steel to it's not possible, i'm getting two pieces of flat bar made, one with a tube on to line up with the hole on the muffler... ill make a gasket to go inbetween aswell.

The idea is to clamp round the muffler. It might not work well but i'll see.

Nice dog by the way mate, they're my favourite breed ever!

i just give them a quick shower to get the shite off them you dont know what they pick up,they are kept in the house all the time after they have been out ratting i dont let the kids mess with them til the next day i have done alright upto now with this routine so dont see me changing it. when they have had a shower and dried them off i check for any little punctures however small and put savlon on them with cotton wool buds then a drink and let them have a bit of a rest for an hour then give them a good meal.

i just give them a quick shower to get the shite off them you dont know what they pick up,they are kept in the house all the time after they have been out ratting i dont let the kids mess with them til the next day i have done alright upto now with this routine so dont see me changing it. when they have had a shower and dried them off i check for any little punctures however small and put savlon on them with cotton wool buds then a drink and let them have a bit of a rest for an hour then give them a good meal.

Do you not disinfect their mouths or paws? These dogs are always licking, if you leave a hand or foot showing it gets licked haha.

Do you not disinfect their mouths or paws? These dogs are always licking, if you leave a hand or foot showing it gets licked haha.

A good detol bath also for the dog/me ha ha

If your worried about disease then give the dogs a bath afterwards, but I'd do this if it was a dirty area and it was a big session, not for one or two in the garden. Clean any bites with hibiscrub but no, you don't clean the dogs mouth.

If your worried about disease then give the dogs a bath afterwards, but I'd do this if it was a dirty area and it was a big session, not for one or two in the garden. Clean any bites with hibiscrub but no, you don't clean the dogs mouth.

Cheers mate thanks for the reply, hopefully i'll get out soon and get a few more!

I usually give mine a good bath and a bit of savlon on the cuts, a mate of mine puts iodine on his nuttal but it love's pain, superglue works well on any cuts but make sure everything is clean before glueing up.

Have a look at Ryedale Ratters on youtube.

Id never ever put superglue on a rat bite :no: if there is any infection in a bite, superglueing it will make it worse in the long run. Rat bites just need cleaning well. Hydrogen peroxide works well to clean nasty bites. Mine get a rub over with some dettol mixed with water & I put hydrogen peroxide (30 vol) on any bites that look a bit nasty and thats it.

I usually give mine a good bath and a bit of savlon on the cuts, a mate of mine puts iodine on his nuttal but it love's pain, superglue works well on any cuts but make sure everything is clean before glueing up.

Have a look at Ryedale Ratters on youtube.

Id never ever put superglue on a rat bite :no: if there is any infection in a bite, superglueing it will make it worse in the long run. Rat bites just need cleaning well. Hydrogen peroxide works well to clean nasty bites. Mine get a rub over with some dettol mixed with water & I put hydrogen peroxide (30 vol) on any bites that look a bit nasty and thats it.

I would use anything that I would use on myself on a wound previous to glueing and never any problems, it isnt usualy a rat bite that causes a big enough wound for glueing it is useuly unseen hazards un the hedge bottoms but still covered in rat piss all the same, in my opinion it is best to let a wound heal on its own if possible but sometimes they have to be held together and glueing if done properly is as good and cheaper than a vet as well as saving any hassle from questions about scar/wounds and where they came from

Edited by Sundayratter