Well yesterday saw me and David travel to my ground to try for Scottish roebucks , seeing as he let me shoot one of his Yorkshire bucks :clapper:

On arrival we set off down the valley and wasnt long before we got into a buck feeding out nicely in a quiet meadow where I have never seen deer before .I got on my bipod and was looking through long grass , I placed the crosshairs on his neck , fired and off ran the buck . Cursing I realised that the bullet must have deflected off the vegetation , a denial shot really , should know better :icon_redface:

Anyway the buck galloped off , but I followed him in the crosshairs , he eventually stopped some 160 yards away , this time no mistake dropping him on the spot with a neck shot :clapper:

Nice big buck in cracking condition but with a poor head ................

post-29-1215955180.jpg

After dragging the buck back to the motor , we headed off for another bit of ground but as we left the farm I noticed another buck on a bracken bank .............I told David to get out the motor and take him. He got on his bipod and shot this buck at 180 yards , he ran a short distance and dropped in the bracken. We had to use Jack the terrier to trace the deer as we couldnt find it at all in the bracken :clapper:

post-29-1215955392.jpg

After getting back to the car again we set off for another piece of ground to try our luck ...................both these bucks had been shot in places where I have never seen deer before , I put it down to the fact that there are now no sheep on the ground where usually it was covered !!

On arrival at the next bit of ground , we glased a doe followed by a kid , then behind a buck appeared, David ranged it at 230 yards. Settled on the bipod again he head shot it :clapper::clapper: But when we went to pick it we were confronted with a pool of blood only. Time for Jack to track this deer :yes: he did well hunting up the buck and actually having to pull it :clapper:

On inspection the bullet had entered the bucks head just below the eyeline going downward and blowing away all the bottom jaw and front of its head ............we were amazed it travelled so far!!

By the time we got this buck back to the car it was now dark.

post-29-1215955826.jpg

Another cracking day out mate , wait til the rut gets going !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :victory:

Guest basil46

Nice one guys, have fun skinning and butchering them!!

This isn`t a critisism but head shots from 230 yards? Fair play to you for having the confidence to take the shot on.

basil.

Nice one guys, have fun skinning and butchering them!!

This isn`t a critisism but head shots from 230 yards? Fair play to you for having the confidence to take the shot on.

basil.

totally agree, that sounds like an amazing and very ballsy shot.

i remember seeing on a previous thread that he's got a hunter lite in .243 so maybe it was just taking advantage of the difference in laws up there as it would still be illegal in England.

again no critisism mate, should be sniper...

Alex

yeah the .243 is legal on both sides of the border but i still thought the legal requirement for deer in England was 2000+ energy?

well after about 125m wouldnt't the bullet be carrying less than 2000 joules and thus be below the legal reqirement?(please correct me if im wrong, im still figuring things out a bit)

with only head showing that sounds like one hell of a spot aswell mate :thumbs:

Alex

yeah the .243 is legal on both sides of the border but i still thought the legal requirement for deer in England was 2000+ energy?

well after about 125m wouldnt't the bullet be carrying less than 2000 joules and thus be below the legal reqirement?(please correct me if im wrong, im still figuring things out a bit)

Alex

the ft lbs only matter at the muzzle not downrange.

great shot david youll have to come up to my patch with mark for a look out sometime. itll be a change from that tick ridden carter bar eh mark. :tongue2::clapper:

Edited by brno17

Alex

the ft lbs only matter at the muzzle not downrange.

great shot david youll have to come up to my patch with mark for a look out sometime. itll be a change from that tick ridden carter bar eh mark. :tongue2::clapper:

Cheers for the offer mate :thumbs:

• 2 months later...