Snared wild pig

Thought you folks might be interested in seeing a picture of a wild boar I managed to snare with some synthetic rope. It was despatched with the spear shown (made by fitting a Cold Steel Bushman knife to the end of a stick). I've bagged dozens of pigs with a rifle, but this was a very satisfying hunt.

Here's the link:

http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/coote/photo%20gallery.html

The pig had moved into a scrubby gully on a neighbour's farm (with some others). I spent many hours in the area. A couple of times at night I was only a few feet from the pigs... I could hear them chomping away in the undergrowth, but I couldn't see them to shoot at them.

I was fortunate to get this one. Generally I would have thought that the pigs would need a few days or a week to get used to the snares without any human scent around. Because I had to check the snares twice daily, and because of the thick brush I had to walk right up to the snares to check them.... my scent would have been left all over the place. However I got one. It was all very exciting.

This is the only large animal I have ever snared. I have caught another couple of pigs in a specially made cage trap with a falling door..... and I have caught quite a few brushtailed possums in cord nooses. But I think trapping is wonderful. As you will see in another post I am seeking advice from the Mother Country as to how to go about trapping rabbits and hares.

Regards.... Coote.