bringing on a running dog

now i have my thoughts on this one and so do many others out there, so you tell me what age do you start to run your pup on rabbits ,and big rabbits :whistling: ect .. theres guys out there who will say they know it all on bringing on a pup ,i know of such men :whistling: dont mean there right though :big_boss: but im all ears ..have your say lets see whos right on this one ..do you rush in or take your time in bringing on your pup ?? and if you do rush in will it do any real harm to the dog ? if so what ?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One has to remember that a dog has puppy mentality until a t least 14 months.........even though it may have the physical attributes to catch rabbits at 7-8 months........

My advise would be one the basic training is going well, then slow and steady introduction is the key....I have had pups of 6-7 months out on a lead watching experienced dogs lamp and work....this is the best way to bring them on.........and circa 10 -11 months then let them has a dropper or easy slip on a mixy rabbit....this will boost their confidence....if you run them on hard rabbits too early, they can starty openign up (yipping) through frustration which is a hard habbit to break....or simply jack...and loose interest.

You'll have your dog for many years so no need to work them too hard as young uns....or you'll simply feck the job up.

a dog should be running well from 18months - 2 years roughly.

Guest markbrick1

interesting topic this could be :whistling: ,i beleave as young as possible they should be accompanieing you on outings well before they run there prey :thumbs: all depends on there drive and size,the ones i run at the moment caught there 1st rabbit at 4 months,won a saturday and sunday simulated coarsing event finals with some good dogs at 5 month old won lurcherworld champion of champions at 10 month old and caught a long ear at 9 month old,i was told by a lot they would be no good by 3,well there still 100% and better every day,but a lot comes down to breeding and size,i was catching 9 and 10s with them often at 10 month old on the lamp,mark

Guest little_lloyd

Ive just started my dog a bit of rabbit action at 13 months,, he had his first rabbit at eight months while ferreting and has only seen a handfull of rabbits and the odd other thing,, looking foward to the winter.

iv got to agree on the watching bit ,it does help in bringing on a dog loads ,what about the dogs bones and joints does it do it no harm them if you run it to soon ? like its been said running a dog that is out run by what ever its chaseing will open up or give up ,long slips is one way to stop a dog running ,it soon learns it anit got much of a chance ,does it mean its aint got the go or is it that it has too much brains in its head if it dont want to run it ?

Edited by rob reynolds uk
Guest markbrick1
iv got to agree on the watching bit ,it does help in bringing on a dog loads ,what about the dogs bones and joints does it do it no harm them if you run it to soon ? like its been said running a dog that is out run by what ever its chaseing will open up or give up ,long slips is one way to stop a dog running ,it soon learns it anit got much of a chance ,does it mean its aint got the go or is it that it has too much brains in its head if it dont want to run it ?

i cant talk about every ones dogs but mine,they dont open up,and that for sure there bones are ok,and they have never quit so it works for me,but there light dogs not to heavy and never had any real injuries,touch wood but every dog is differant

Guest lurcherboy2008

alot of dogs mature before others, i have a lurcher pup here now ill drop 1/2 rabbits for him on the local football pitch at about 10/11 months maybe 12 just easy ones that i either ferret or pull out of a wall then at bout 12 months mark hell lamp with my bitch watch her run for the first outing then the 2nd outing if theres easy enough rabbits around hell have a run or 2 all depends definetly wont run more than 5 rabbits the 1st night he runs though :thumbs:

my young dog just turned a year old started him taking rabbits on the lamp (and only rabbits) and around 16-18 months old will start him on foxs and see how we go from there he picked 4 rabbits his first time on the lamp and he only been out twise..a few more times out now and get used to the beam and he be flying and thats how i bring on my dogs not saying everyone should do it like that but thats the way i like to do it

Edited by nbk

I am a total novice to this game however i have taken onboard alot of good sound advise from many on here. I have taken my pup out from day 1 whenever i go shooting he comes along pigeons,ferretin ratting anything i do he has been there. i first took my pup out on the rabbits at 6months with other dogs letting him watch them work and catch rabbits. at 7 months on a lanping trip with the rifles i slipped him on a wounded rabbit which he nailed and retreived. He is now 8months and last week i took him out on his own slipped him on maybe 2 rabbits (no prize unfortunatly) nothing excessive i am still trying to hold him back and maybe another 4-5 months time i will raise the bar and will slip him 4 times on a lamping session and so on.

am using some common sense and advise here trying to introduce my pup to his game slowly. he loves it and would prob course all night long if i allowed it. :victory: