Sick Lakey/Russell pups

Can anyone help with pup problems? The vet's taken all my money but still not sorted!!

About 6 weeks ago the 1st of my pups was ill, high temp, lifeless, walking like it was rigid & yelped whenever i touched it anywhere. Ended up in the vets on a drip, anti-biotics, x-ray etc & £150 later, by the end of the week, back to normal. 2 weeks later pup no2 was the same. Week later & another £100 and she's ok but pup No1's got it again. Treated it myself this time & today she's running round like an idiot but pup no2 is real sick again, same thing. I got 5 other dogs, terriers, springers & a lurcher with no problems. Can't be diet, I've checked & changed it. Can't be kennelling, the springer pup's ok.

Can anyone suggest anything?? They've all been jabbed, wormed & frontlined regularly & are well looked after. Don't know what to do next.

Rob G

With a high temp it has to be some sort of infection,and i would defo take back to vets and query why nothing has shown up,did he do blood tests? if not why not? if they are dehydrated then i would suggest syringing them every 15 mins when possible,it is surprising how quickly they go downhill if they are dehydrated.strange one but there must be answers somewhere.

Yeh they were dehydrated 1st time. now I recognise the signs I've been making sure they don't.

Think I will phone the vets though, for £250 total you would think blood tests would have been done.

2nd time around I,ve been dosing them myself with penecillin & painkiller, keeping them hydrated & bringing the temp down.

Wierd thing is, yesterday morning the 2nd pup was her usual pain in the arse self. Been in the garden with me all day, showed no symptoms but then late in the afternoon was like she just keeled over, totally lifeless.

Edited by robgriff1

Still sounds like an infection to me,get onto the vets, i would keep them a little quiet if poss until they are sorted,it may just be another course of antibiotics that is needed,if something is underlying racing around all day will result in them being done in at the end of the day, [ know the feeling],Good luck and hope u get to the bottom of the problem

Can anyone help with pup problems? The vet's taken all my money but still not sorted!!

Rob - hope the pups make a full recovery. I know a bloke up the road from you who may be able to help!

About 6 weeks ago the 1st of my pups was ill, high temp, lifeless, walking like it was rigid & yelped whenever i touched it anywhere. Ended up in the vets on a drip, anti-biotics, x-ray etc & £150 later, by the end of the week, back to normal. 2 weeks later pup no2 was the same. Week later & another £100 and she's ok but pup No1's got it again. Treated it myself this time & today she's running round like an idiot but pup no2 is real sick again, same thing. I got 5 other dogs, terriers, springers & a lurcher with no problems. Can't be diet, I've checked & changed it. Can't be kennelling, the springer pup's ok.

Can anyone suggest anything?? They've all been jabbed, wormed & frontlined regularly & are well looked after. Don't know what to do next.

Rob G

Good point Dawn. Thought about this one. Put slug pellets down a few weeks ago & the dogs have been kept well away. After a few weeks they've been dissolved into the soil but if a pet ate grass growing in the soil, could it be carrying the poison? Says on the label its safe to use around edible plants though. Another thing I thought of was sheep shit-as you can imagine its everywhere down here & the dogs are always picking at it. vet says it can't hurt em though.

is your dogrun floor painted only a mate of mine some years back had some trouble with his pups going down and it turned out there was something in the paint was poisoning them you will have to considerevery possability

No rhubarb or bedding plants like that, & no paint. She was right as rain yesterday, now she can barely walk, back is arched & head down, & she's rigid. yelps whenever I touch her, especially neck/shoulder area. Other pup was like it last week, but ok now. must be something with diet but not affecting other dogs.