Foxing with help

So with it being this time of year when it does not get dark until around 11:00 its hard work getting out with the lamp especially if you have work the next day, so instead I have been going out at about 9:30 to see if I can call some cubs in. So last night me and a mate of mine went to some land he owns where people have seen cubs around. I had with me my new Sako Quad in .17HMR using ballistic Winchesters (best round I have used).

We walked up the lane next to the wood which the foxes have been spotted coming out from and started climbing to a high enough point in which we could see anything coming in.

We finally positioned ourselves under a tree on a bit of a lump looking onto a field which had a flock of sheep in, this played to our advantage as I will explain later. We started calling and the sheep looked straight at us but barely moved from their position. After about five sets of calls the sheep seemed to become slightly disturbed and looking behind them. We had an idea that something was on its way fast. Next thing the flock ran down the bank and Charlie darted from out of the hedge heading straight to us. We stopped the call and as soon as we did it froze on the spot, my eye went down to the scope and I placed the cross hair to the centre of its chest, lightly squeezed the trigger……. CRACK , the small but powerfull 17 grain had found its mark and the fox just keeled over on its side, RESULT.

We paced the distance out, about 70 yards. Charlie was stone dead on the grass, turned him over to find it was a dog. Both me and my mate stood there with big smiles on our faces . Another job well done.

Just like to say thanks to my mate rob (lamper robo) for great ground and good calling also to the flock of sheep for letting us know he was there.

:clapper:Good shooting. :clapper:

what range was it and where did you hit it because iv got a .17HMR CZ.And not yet shoot at a fox with it.

IV got the same scope as you there not a bad scope.

:gunsmilie:

Hi dean,it was about 70yards but the rifle is capeable of a fair bit further if shot is placed correctly,the fox was facing me so straight into the chest done the job nicely.ye the scope does its job,always use illuminated retical in the dark,works well for me!cheers

i wouldnt go for chest shot with the hmr but thats just me. a head shot is the best with hmr i find. sideways on between the ear and eye.

some say head shot is risky in case you hit them in the mouth but if you no the rifle and you shoot rabbits at 100 yards + in the head you should find a clean head shot up to 80 yards on a fox easy.

a body shot on a fox with hmr is to inconsistant i think. its only a little bullet and if it dont hit the right bit wont make the right amount of damage to kill him out right imo anyway :thumbs:

Edited by jamie g
i wouldnt go for chest shot with the hmr but thats just me. a head shot is the best with hmr i find. sideways on between the ear and eye.

some say head shot is risky in case you hit them in the mouth but if you no the rifle and you shoot rabbits at 100 yards + you should find a clan head shot up to 80 yards on a fox easy.

a body shot on a fox with hmr is to inconsistant i think. its only a little bullet and if it dont hit the right bit wont make the right amount of damage to kill him out right imo anyway :thumbs:

I agree Jamie,

I think that the HMR will kill in the chest if the little bullet is put in Exactly the right place, i.e. You know exactly where the Heart or Lung is on a fox.

If you are not Absolutely sure then the head shot is the most certain way as you can visually see the area you are aiming at, i.e. as Jamie said, between the Eye and Ear.

If you plan to shoot foxes with a HMR, then you need to know exactly where it is shooting and would have spent some time punching paper.

As for range, I know they will more than likely have the energy to kill a fox cleanly in the head at 120 yards BUT the most humane range for this type of work is 100 yards at the very most.

Regards

SS :thumbs:

some say head shot is risky in case you hit them in the mouth but if you no the rifle and you shoot rabbits at 100 yards + you should find a clan head shot up to 80 yards on a fox easy.

I agree Jamie,

I think that the HMR will kill in the chest if the little bullet is put in Exactly the right place, i.e. You know exactly where the Heart or Lung is on a fox.

If you are not Absolutely sure then the head shot is the most certain way as you can visually see the area you are aiming at, i.e. as Jamie said, between the Eye and Ear.

If you plan to shoot foxes with a HMR, then you need to know exactly where it is shooting and would have spent some time punching paper.

As for range, I know they will more than likely have the energy to kill a fox cleanly in the head at 120 yards BUT the most humane range for this type of work is 100 yards at the very most.

Regards

ive heard off people that have took foxes out with head shots at ranges i wouldnt like to say on here ! with the hmr.

the one i hit at 55 to 60 yards went down with out a blink. but there mite be a day where you mite not get it right and you will be gutted if the fox makes it to a bush and dies and you cant find it.

if your sure then take them but if you can get centrefire get it because they have more range,bigger bullet, twice as much power, and a body shot into the engine room will 9 times out of 10 end them in a blink

plus i like the big bang of the centrefire :gunsmilie::laugh:

I agree Jamie,

Regards

ive heard off people that have took foxes out with head shots at ranges i wouldnt like to say on here ! with the hmr.

the one i hit at 55 to 60 yards went down with out a blink. but there mite be a day where you mite not get it right and you will be gutted if the fox makes it to a bush and dies and you cant find it.

if your sure then take them but if you can get centrefire get it because they have more range,bigger bullet, twice as much power, and a body shot into the engine room will 9 times out of 10 end them in a blink

plus i like the big bang of the centrefire :gunsmilie::laugh:

I have always gone for body shots with the HMR and has not failed me yet.AS you say the shot must be placed correctly to bring one down with the little bullet,well im hardy going to aim at a place that i dont think will kill it stone dead,im also taking every shot off the harris so keeping it on the kill zone is not a problem!A foxes heart is about the same size as [bANNED TEXT] you are aiming at when your going for a head shot so i dont see the problem but thanks for the replys!