Bleeding Mozzies !

Went out to a local wood last nite to zero the scope on my new SuperTen, began to get itchy on the backs of my hands (bare) after about 30mins !

By the time I got home and into bed, the itching was almost unbearable ! :thumbdown:

All night was spent scratching, when I got up this morning, the backs of my hands were about twice their usual size and the pain............!!!

Turns out the little ba****ds had scored a hit count of 4 to my right and 6 to my left ! :(

The swelling and pain is still there now, I am using some surgical hand gel to relieve the pain, but it wears off pretty quick :bad:

Will defo have to get some decent gloves now, but what gets me is, that as I spend most of my evenings on the towpath of local canals (live aboard a narrowboat), I have often been the fodder of Mossies, but never to this extent.

Maybe all this mither about climate change means that we are getting a more ferocious breed of the little blitter, or are woodland mossies nastier than tow path mossies ?

Might be a good idea to invest in some insect repellant. It works for me. Smells horrible, but it beats being eaten.

There's a bay up near Arran, I believe, called Midge Bay. I understand that people were tortured to death there by being pegged out naked on the sands to be eaten alive by the midges! :icon_eek:

A whole 30 minutes? Midges usually home in on me inside 30 seconds. Prize for the worst? Summer evening outside the Sligachan Inn in Skye....I was down to 6 pints within the hour :wallbash:

If you come up in bumps try Athisan Cream

Takes away the itching and reduces the swelling. brilliant stuff.

Edited by droid

Where we walk the dogs beside a loch there that thick they look like black clouds ,you would think you'd get a gust of wind beside the water and it would keep them away

Brill advice, many thanks.

Problem is I may look / smell a bit odd, Wearing Elder leaves around my head (in case we cant moor there because every bugger else has), and smeared in Athisan Cream just in case and using insect repellant as deoderant to reduce the risk. :laugh:

I fish at least 1 week a year in the deepest of France

in the middle of forests etc

sometimes there are 10 of us and we have been doing this for the past 10 years

we have all tried different types of gear but now we all use the same one

its £5 for a roll on from boots and its called Mossi guard its a white bottle with a green lid

i will gaurantee it anywhere

and it smells nice (just dont get it in your mouth ) it tastes bad :icon_redface:

A whole 30 minutes? Midges usually home in on me inside 30 seconds. Prize for the worst? Summer evening outside the Sligachan Inn in Skye....I was down to 6 pints within the hour :wallbash:

If you come up in bumps try Athisan Cream

Takes away the itching and reduces the swelling. brilliant stuff.

Good point that, droid. I tried to find it on Google. Could there be a typo there? Is it Anthisan? I found that was offered as an alternative spelling and it looked like a powerful load of jollop! Got to get me some of that as well as the Mosiguard!

I had some bad bites while in Spain, knuckles the size of golf balls. The pharmacist gave me Neosayomol which is an antihistamine cream. That did the same job. It is available without prescription and can be ordered over the internet. I just checked that one too.

Looks like I'm going to need another bag to add to the rest of the kit.

CJ, I think there must be a difference between woodland mozzies and the rest of the bunch. I got munched a few years back in the woods (was wearing shorts :thumbdown: ) and ended up with elephantitis of the legs. They were huge and I needed a few days off work and elevated legs to bring the swelling down.

Been bitten by countless woodies since and never encountered the same level of swelling.

I spent some time in Africa in 2002 and needed to get some mozzie repellent as they have teeth and malaria out there and the best repellents are the ones that contain the active ingredient DEET, get one with this in it and you should be ok.

Good point that, droid. I tried to find it on Google. Could there be a typo there? Is it Anthisan? I found that was offered as an alternative spelling and it looked like a powerful load of jollop! Got to get me some of that as well as the Mosiguard!

Correct mate. :icon_redface:

Bloody keyboards..... :laugh:

Correct mate. :icon_redface:

Bloody keyboards..... :laugh:

Good man!

I have to limit myself to 1/2 pint of shandy if I'm making a post or I'd get my mords wuddled!