Point of Impact

I'm shooting around 12 deer a year (Muntjac, Roe, Fallow)

Now I've stuck to the BDS DSC1 heart shot for the past 4 years - they never run that far!

However have just started taking neck shots - and not 100% happy with the speed of death.

Less of the pricey meat is getting damaged and for sure they go down - but not really going onto the next-life quick enough. The knife has been used several times to finish off the poor blighter.

Is there something I am missing?

Have taken a few headshots, as now got a Jewell trigger fitted, but distance not always permits. Believe me I'm a competent shot. Is it simply because there is no vital organs in the neck - just arteries?

Any guidance welcome

Now I've stuck to the BDS DSC1 heart shot for the past 4 years - they never run that far!

However have just started taking neck shots - and not 100% happy with the speed of death.

Less of the pricey meat is getting damaged and for sure they go down - but not really going onto the next-life quick enough. The knife has been used several times to finish off the poor blighter.

Have taken a few headshots, as now got a Jewell trigger fitted, but distance not always permits. Believe me I'm a competent shot. Is it simply because there is no vital organs in the neck - just arteries?

Any guidance welcome

As you say the heart/lung shot is the best shot on deer especially when there is a distance involved. However, there are times when this type of shot is not available - when the beast is standing in bracken/bramble or presents only a head on or going away shot and of course lying down..

From what you has described it would appear your shot has gone through the wind pipe. The only really acceptable neck shot is the one that breaks the neck bone. As you are probably only too aware on a deer the neck and head are constantly on the move - it is very difficult to judge how long it will keep head/neck still. On the times that I take these shots I usually whistle the deer knowing that it will spend more time looking up with its neck still with only its head moving to try and detect where the sound came from. Obviously front and going away neck shots should always (if accurately shot) break the neck bone.

could be using the wrong bullets mate

you'll want a frangible hunting grade bullet with a ballistic tip - fast and flat flying causing as much damage as possible

you don't want it mushrooming like a softpoint because it's got to have a wide wound and there's no carcass damage to worry about

as the target of the neck is smaller than that of the heart this type of bullet gives you a wider margin of error

an inaccurately placed neck shot is more likely to result in a clean kill because the bullet will shatter on impact sending fragments into surrounding vital areas such as the spinal chord.

hope this helps... stand to be corrected as im still a bit of a stalking novice :whistling:

Alex

If your using the knife after a neck shot you are off the mark as its as quick/good as a head shot done right. Yeh some times you will need to use the knife but say 1-2 in 10 in would say.

Edited by v-max

Any guidance welcome

its a no brainer if yer not happy with neck shots dont take them :wacko: a well taken neck shot should drop the beast on the spot no knife needed. maybe you should try the heart shot again until your confident, necking them is risky at the best of times unless you know what you're doing.

Edited by brno17

Totally agree with the first 3 posts mate, all very correct in my opinion.

I have a mate who is a very well known Sambar hunter and he swears by the neck shot. He uses round nose bullets out of his 30/06 though, instead of pointed.

The heart shot is still a very good target area though and my preferred POI.

Not to be a trouble maker, but head and neck shots are the only way to go.

Head shots always give immediate kills, and Neck shots, always drop the animal immediately and rarely is the animal alive by the time I walk to it.

How close are you getting? What type of bullet are you using? Off hand or bipod?

For a decent shot, I would suggest a head shot up to 300m, and maybe a neck shot for 200-500m, but 500m and up, I usually use a heart shot. Or if it is really windy, and we get some nasty wind here at times, I would use a heart shot.

Is there something i am missing.

Any guidance welcome

its a no brainer if yer not happy with neck shots dont take them :wacko: a well taken neck shot should drop the beast on the spot no knife needed. maybe you should try the heart shot again until your confident, necking them is risky at the best of times unless you know what you're doing.

Yes mate. Its called the spinal column. ;)

Can I respecfully suggest that it is important to remember that shot placement should be to effect an immediate kill, and not to save meat. The carcass only becomes meat for human consumption once the animal is dead.

The DSC DMQ, and best practise recommends bullet placement into the chest cavity, abd to be honest, the meat damage is minimal anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I use head and neck shots regularly, but never because I want to save meat.