most popular deer caliber

.243 I would say as well !!!

thank you all for the replies. It seems 243 in UK is what 6,5x55 in Sweden :D . i wonder if you have no problem with bloodshot and spoiled meat? because these liltle high velocity calibers can spoil a lot of good venison if you hit them in wrong spot. i have turned to 8x57 for deer hunting with heavy rather blunt bullets at low velocity.

regards

dan_hunter

.243 I would say as well !!!

thank you all for the replies. It seems 243 in UK is what 6,5x55 in Sweden :D . i wonder if you have no problem with bloodshot and spoiled meat? because these liltle high velocity calibers can spoil a lot of good venison if you hit them in wrong spot. i have turned to 8x57 for deer hunting with heavy rather blunt bullets at low velocity.

regards

dan_hunter

you're not wrong about blood damage.i use a .243 win and tend towards head and neck shots because of this: being slightly off on the shoulder can leave a lot of damage. Also the chap who takes most of the deer off me tends to be a bit sharper on picking them up and paying if he knows they are going to be less damaged.

i'ke used a .244 mag but that really does bring out the blood ... i think the shock wave of impact as well as the expansion of the round both play a roll in the bruising and so the higher impact velicity would mean a larger shock wave.

imo the .243 win is a very versitile and good all round round that seems to do the job for me quite nicely

on-point

• 11 months later...

If you look on the secondhand market there sems to be more trade in the .243's and .308's than anything else, so i would say they are the most popular.

I wanted something bigger so went for the 6.5x55. I think i might like a 7x57 at some time.

ft

A lot of the stalkers and Gamekeepers I know here in Scotland like the 22 centerfires for Roe.

A local keeper to me shoots hundreds of roe a year with his .222

I use a .22-250 and love it for the job!

I can never understand why England has not followed suit. We shot my heaviest ever buck last week with a 22-250, it's larder weight was 53lb.

The only time I've had to track deer is with continental clients shooting heavy calibers that have failed to expand properly.

Mark.

Edited by mj robson
If you look on the secondhand market there sems to be more trade in the .243's and .308's than anything else, so i would say they are the most popular.

I wanted something bigger so went for the 6.5x55. I think i might like a 7x57 at some time.

ft

The 6.5x55 swede is 'bigger' than the .308win ?

The .308 has alot more energy (2100ft/lbs to 3000ft/lbs) so how do you work that out?

The .308win is surely alot 'bigger' (more powerful) than just the 6.5x55 swede

Cheers

[i wanted something bigger so went for the 6.5x55. I think i might like a 7x57 at some time.

The 6.5x55 swede is 'bigger' than the .308win ?

The .308 has alot more energy (2100ft/lbs to 3000ft/lbs) so how do you work that out?

The .308win is surely alot 'bigger' (more powerful) than just the 6.5x55 swede

Cheers

I meant bigger than the .243, sorry! I wanted a rifle for deer and fox, mainly deer, so i went for the largest calibre that my Police Authority would let me have as a dual purpose rifle. I did apply for a .308 but could not, at the time, have it for foxing too.

ft

edit; just looked on guntrader and there are over twice as many .243's as there are .308's.

Edited by flytie