terrier crosses

has anyone any experinces with terrier spaniel crosses for bushing etc?

the cocker cross is a real good dog if you can keep up with them, the ones i've seen went to ground as well, not a good thing for the shooting man lol

Edited by pickaxe

Not even sure what my cross is, springer with lakeland i think, all black and like a sheep if coat not clipped. To big to go to ground tho, like a small skinny springer size. Good dog for lifting sitters in long grass tho.

First I heard of the cross was back in the early 80's when a lad from Liverpool bred a litter from a real hard bitten terrier dog to a well bred field spaniel bitch. Back then everyone thought him nuts when he announced that he was going to keep them all an run 'em like a mini pack of hounds.

His tallies of daytime foxes sored and lads started queing up to have a day out with them. He has kept the line going since and tried cockers and beagle in the mix, though its mostley the same as the originals. On the occasion when he does breed, his pups fly out and not just around his area.

He has told me he's had the odd poor one but from all the litters bred and what I've seen graft i've been very impressed.

Most of the first crosses were very hard, they would also fly to ground and depending on size would have to be dug out, which wouldn't be a problem except on land with sets!!

Think if you trawl enough you'll find similar threds of the cross on here, failing that I think the Warrener had a few working on one of his dvd's.

Mine works more like a hound than terrier or spaniel, but is a great retriever she far to skitty for ferreting, gets bored quick. easy to train to. If i can put a pic on i will. Think she stands around 16" at shoulder to, but not a broad dog at all.

I hunt with that type of cross. Mine are patterdale/cocker. They are great mate, you wont go wrong there.

Easy to train to for your own needs aswell.

The smaller ones may try to get to ground, but its best to move them on when using terriers to ground, so they dont get to keen on it.

They will obviously hunt all day, will follow a line better than a straight spaniel, and if beagle in the mix will hunt better still, and give tounge. Also working basset works well in the mix.

Good luck with it, keep us posted on its progress!

DnN

dog looks good, I'll try and get pics of mine on and see if she looks like anything youve seen, i never got a look at the dam, which was the terrier, but she has a look of a kerry blue or wheaten to her, but i doubt it cos i never paid them prices for her haha Has a thing about birds tho, will chase swallows round field when they come down for feeding.