Had some wires out

I set FIFTY snares on saturday morning, got them all out by about 10:00.

I had 36 pegs out and 14 hoops, set at 6".

This morning i checks them and have only two rabbits..... i had about 15 knocked wires so i will be snaring it again keeping my snares about half an inch higher.

Your not setting right if you have so many snares knocked.Make sure your snare is not set too far to the left or right.

Another very important tip is to face the way the rabbits are going(ie,with your back to the wood,hedge or where ever the rabbits are coming from) or your snare wont be square to the run.If its grass keep your wires at 51/2".Dont blame hight for bad snare positioning.

Make sure you find at least three beats in a straight line and set the middle beat.By doing this you now the rabbit is hitting the middle beat as straight as possible.

Dont put too much tension in your snares,but you must have some tension.Cock your eye straight.

All these things have to be perfected if you want to successfully kill rabbits with the wires :good:

I hope this helps :good:

Edited by pegandgun
Guest The Hob

Rabbithunter, I tried snaring on 1 of my permission last summer. Put out 150 snares and caught 5 rabbits p****d me off a bit cos I'd seen over 100 rabbits there 3 nights before. Think the conditions had something to do withit as well. There was a full moon and calm night. Not saying all the snares were set right tho had a few knocked snares as well. Havnt tried it since. :no::no:

I had 14 out on saturday morning, returned sunday morning, i had 2 or three knocked wires, and had caught one, but Mr. Fox had kindly eat the rabbits body. Also, i had one wire missing, ( i used a marker pin for every snare, so i know that its missing and not just that i cant see it)

So perhaps Mr Fox, or Mr Billy had taken the rabbit and the full snare.

Also, Mr. Peg what would you say a good height for setting in woodland is, i have a woodland around someones garden he would like cleared, i set 6 fenn traps ages ago, and caught nothing (a fenn had been taken-again, i used marking pins)

And havent returned since.

some of us are slow learners, i know many a man who has tried snaring and given it up, i think i deserve a bit of credit for sticking at it.

I have caught a few rabbits in snares hear and there, the most i had in morning was 2, and thats with about 30 snares out, at least im honest.

I know im shit at it, but..............

Oh, and its more like 3-4 years now woodga, lol.

some of us are slow learners, i know many a man who has tried snaring and given it up, i think i deserve a bit of credit for sticking at it.

I have caught a few rabbits in snares hear and there, the most i had in morning was 2, and thats with about 30 snares out, at least im honest.

I know im shit at it, but..............

Oh, and its more like 3-4 years now woodga, lol.

:no::o:cry::p;):good: unbeleivable determination :D good hunting all woodga :ph34r: