.22-250 for roe stalking in scotland

Guest david1976

Guest david1976

I am interested to know what experience other stalkers have of using this caliber for roe in scotland.

as far as i am aware, it must be at least 50g with a muzzle velocity of 2450 fps and muzzle energy of 1000fp to be legal.

The last roe i shot was with a 55g federal and it made one hell of a mess of the chest and shoulders so i am not going to use it again.

I am interested in homeloading however im getting married next month so until i can save up for the loading equipment i will have to buy factory shot.

Pleaqse let me know the make and details of the bullets you use / have used and your experiences with them.

I realise that everyone will have their own favourites and im interested on your opinions

cheers

I started off using federal factory ammo through my 22-250 and got groupings of 1 1/2" which was good enough for what I was using the gun for. I'm not interested in punching paper just shooting Roe, a lot of Does fell over thanks to that round.

Then I went to the shop one day and they didn't have any federal so I bought some Sako SP Gamehead 55 grain, slightly more expensive. I checked them for zero and found them to group 1/2" through my gun without touching a thing, I've used them ever since and they have accounted for many deer without any problems.

A gamekeeper friend of mine also swears by this round through his .222 for culling Does.

Cheers,

Mark.

ps,

I wouldn't advise using ballistic tip bullets in any .22 centerfire calibre for Roe.

Edited by mj robson
I started off using federal factory ammo through my 22-250 and got groupings of 1 1/2" which was good enough for what I was using the gun for. I'm not interested in punching paper just shooting Roe, a lot of Does fell over thanks to that round.

Then I went to the shop one day and they didn't have any federal so I bought some Sako SP Gamehead 55 grain, slightly more expensive. I checked them for zero and found them to group 1/2" through my gun without touching a thing, I've used them ever since and they have accounted for many deer without any problems.

A gamekeeper friend of mine also swears by this round through his .222 for culling Does.

Cheers,

Mark.

ps,

I wouldn't advise using ballistic tip bullets in any .22 centerfire calibre for Roe.

il second all of this, a good round

Guest basil46
I am interested to know what experience other stalkers have of using this caliber for roe in scotland.

as far as i am aware, it must be at least 50g with a muzzle velocity of 2450 fps and muzzle energy of 1000fp to be legal.

The last roe i shot was with a 55g federal and it made one hell of a mess of the chest and shoulders so i am not going to use it again.

I am interested in homeloading however im getting married next month so until i can save up for the loading equipment i will have to buy factory shot.

Pleaqse let me know the make and details of the bullets you use / have used and your experiences with them.

I realise that everyone will have their own favourites and im interested on your opinions

cheers

Buy your homeloading gear then save up to get married. See!! No problem now.

basil.

Guest david1976

Buy your homeloading gear then save up to get married. See!! No problem now.

basil.

:no: Wedding is already booked so cant get out of it

on the plus side however i am getting a 3 week holiday in malaysia :boogie:

I homeload & use various powders from Vit N140/BL-C2 & Varget with speer or sierra 55g sp. I have used factory fed 55g sp & they were good & if you shoot any amount of deer you will get the odd damage.