Baikal Shotgun

went ahead today and bought myself a baikal mp153 semi auto shotgun today , so it should be up here soon anyway its been crimped to make is legal to hold on a SGC but is there any chance at a later date to remove the cartridge tube and install a non crimped version (5 shot) if i apply for the variation on my FAC , So is it at all possible to purchase baikal parts or will they be hesistant to supply me with a new cartridge tube??

liam

Guest JohnGalway

I'd imagine you can get a new tube yes, it's just a part. How that is viewed legally or such I can't tell you as I'm not in the UK. Good luck with the new shottie, same as my one :D

i was thinking at a later date i could of just got the variation surely that would be ok? what do you think of the baikal the only experience i have with one is a old side by side one thats bludy accient :laugh: . whats the law on shotguns over in ireland how many shots are you allowed?

liam

Guest JohnGalway

Your idea makes sense to me but with the provisio that I don't know UK law and sense rarely applies to law. I like my Baikal, it's done all I've asked it to from shooting clays to taking hoodies and magpies in flight to rabbits and foxes on the run. It's shot from 28gram 7.5 to 64 gram BB's without me having to adjust the gas regulator and ejects all shells. As for the law over here, it's a bit up in the air at the moment I believe. There's talk of shotguns which take above three shots being restricted, not unavailable but just restricted. I have a plug made for mine which will do by restricting it to three shots :yes:

went ahead today and bought myself a baikal mp153 semi auto shotgun today , so it should be up here soon anyway its been crimped to make is legal to hold on a SGC but is there any chance at a later date to remove the cartridge tube and install a non crimped version (5 shot) if i apply for the variation on my FAC , So is it at all possible to purchase baikal parts or will they be hesistant to supply me with a new cartridge tube??

liam

I seem to remember being told that it was possible for a gunsmith to 'push' out the crimp with some sort of tool that was pulled through the tube on a threaded stud.

Could have been rubbish but it sounded feasible.

yeh the plug idea makes sence , i dont like how you fork out for a shot gun here then they f**k up the cartridge tube just to make it legal it would be more sence haveing a blank, from what ive seen of the mp153 it seems pretty robust a few videos on youtube and one guy up here has one it seems to be well made but i am yet to have ago but all will come soon :D , the guy at the firearms shop said he would suggest using cartridges smaller than 3" , i thought it would be a handy gun for it versatility as we use alot of small cartridges at work for dispatch of birds in our salmon cages :whistling:

liam

what is the reason for it to be threaded ? is it a thread on the inside of the tube or the outside? , is your blank just screwed in place at the end to take up the 2 shots to make it legal on the SGC

liam

Guest JohnGalway
what is the reason for it to be threaded ? is it a thread on the inside of the tube or the outside? , is your blank just screwed in place at the end to take up the 2 shots to make it legal on the SGC

liam

Threaded because it screws into the rest of ths shotgun :yes: Threaded again I think for the end cap (as I call it) but I may be wrong on that. I'll take it apart later on and get back to you :yes: Send me a PM if I forget as I'm fairly busy today.

any chance you could take a few pictures of the dissassembly process ? , and another question how does the gas system work in the semi auto im pretty new to shotguns only having some experiece with double barreled versions

liam

cant go wrong with the mp153.......thought about selling mine but fell back in love with it, i can shoot better with my side by side. But i like the semi auto sometimes too, and i used it a couple of weeks ago and shot a flying pigeon and then a running rabbit! i use lots of 2 & 3/4 inch cartridges in mine and have used upto 3.5 inch carts all ejected and cycle perfectly, including heavy loads that were used in the top two pics!

DSCF0306-1.jpg

DSCF0328-1.jpg

DSCF1027.jpg

if i am correct even un-restricted they can only hold 4 cartridges max....hardly worth the effort for 1 more shot!

you can buy tube extenders i believe, and i suppose if you really wanted to then a FAC and a tube extender is the way forward....personally i can reload it very quickly unless you have shot all three carts, if you stick to two shots leaving one in the camber.....then shoving two more up thespout is very easy and quick

A decent gunsmith should be able to extend the tube for you; but this can't be done legally unless the gun is registered on an/your FAC. Likewise you can buy a larger tube and do it yourself; from a gun shop you might/should find it dificult without FAC, and buying the part on the net and converting it at home is not legal and would land you in prison for 5 years minimum.

If you are serious about it, give York Guns a ring and discuss with them, they are the UK importers of Baikal and will advise you.