How long has this been in the ground

I wonder what stories this could tell ???

Loooks like it's been in the ground for some time don't ya think ??

If thats a Baikal as others have posted then it was dumped as a dangerous piece of crap.

I've only seen two in the field and both had a problem with accidental discharge on closing the action onto live cartridges.

I know a dozen owners will say how good they are, but from my perspective they are lethal and I wouldn't be suprised if its previous owner just smashed it over a fence post and threw it into a ditch - in the old post card style SGC days.

More than a dozen i'll think you'll find. As ive said before, mine is pushing 25 years old and has never put a foot wrong.

He would have sprained his wrist trying to break a Baikal on a fencepost!

Most are built like brick s**t houses. You must have just come across two bad ones. Baikal Record cartridges were absolutely lethal, often they would ball the shot under the pressure and fire what was in effect a slug and the noise with them was unbelievable.

Regards

SS

I appreciate that you have a good experience with them, which was why I posted that a dozen (meant to mean loads) would have flawless guns.

However to expand upon my experience - in many hundreds of sporting clay shoots (and assisting in the running of loads) I have only seen two accidental discarges. Both were Baikal S/S. And just how may of them are used on clay shoots compared to Baretta, Browing, Miroku, Rizzini, Fabarm, Lamber, whatever O/Us.

No the failure rate IMO is way over normal.

And it is easy to scrap a break action shotgun, I've dropped one off a moving vehicle and it was amazingly bent and busted.

Ever tried breaking a Baikal, I wouldnt, might hurt :laugh:

Mine has been at the bottom of a pond twice and it still works flawlessly, but I agree they dont have the reputation as completely flawless guns and I honestly think you have been unlucky or the guns have not been cared for at all.

They are all manor of barrel lengths and stock dimensions, made from the metal and wood lying around at the time most probably.

They are in essence a rough gun but as long as they are taken care of they are great, it is when people get it into their heads that Baikals are 'unbreakable' that they neglect them and become dangerous.

Regards

SS

• 7 months later...