How long has this been in the ground

Probably not as long as you think........that top lever opening says a lot.........are you going to clean it up and see if there is a makers name anywhere on it........or a serial number maybe. This would date it more accurately.

I can tell you the make, Its a Baikal. I have an IJ58 which has an identical action to that, the auto safety bar is the same, the safety is the same as is the profile of the action. Mine was made in the USSR which makes it at least 20 years old and is more than likely about 25.

Bit of information for you anyway.

Regards

SS

Guest Ditch_Shitter

My own thoughts exactly, SP!

I guess it's all dependent on where it was found (I'd love to know How someone unearths an old action!). But a cheap double barrel? Laid in the ground? It's well within the time scale that I found myself staring down the wrong end of one. Wonder where the barrels have got to?

Did that particular model come with a beechwood furniture? Funny how such details imprint themselves on ones mind, eh? Beechwood furniture. Unblued ends to the sawn off barrels. Pointed at my face. FFS.

Excuse me whilse I go curl up in a ball as I recall all that.

Sorry but, no 'smiley' quite expresses That emotion.

I wonder what stories this could tell ???

Loooks like it's been in the ground for some time don't ya think ??

If thats a Baikal as others have posted then it was dumped as a dangerous piece of crap.

I've only seen two in the field and both had a problem with accidental discharge on closing the action onto live cartridges.

I know a dozen owners will say how good they are, but from my perspective they are lethal and I wouldn't be suprised if its previous owner just smashed it over a fence post and threw it into a ditch - in the old post card style SGC days.

I wonder what stories this could tell ???

Loooks like it's been in the ground for some time don't ya think ??

If thats a Baikal as others have posted then it was dumped as a dangerous piece of crap.

I've only seen two in the field and both had a problem with accidental discharge on closing the action onto live cartridges.

I know a dozen owners will say how good they are, but from my perspective they are lethal and I wouldn't be suprised if its previous owner just smashed it over a fence post and threw it into a ditch - in the old post card style SGC days.

More than a dozen i'll think you'll find. As ive said before, mine is pushing 25 years old and has never put a foot wrong.

He would have sprained his wrist trying to break a Baikal on a fencepost!

Most are built like brick s**t houses. You must have just come across two bad ones. Baikal Record cartridges were absolutely lethal, often they would ball the shot under the pressure and fire what was in effect a slug and the noise with them was unbelievable.

Regards

SS