RED DOT- AIMPOINT ETC.

Hello folks.

I use a Daystate Airwolf (fac) mainly on rabbits and have a mind to try something different.

I believe they are paralax free at all distances=good,but how practical are red dot sights for live quarry?

Aimpoint for instance seem to offer 2 or 4 MOA dots and i would not have a clue which one to opt for.

Would 4moa totally blot out a rabbits head at 30m and would a 2moa be too small or weak to be effective

at 80m?

I currently use a Simmons White-tail classic but am having consistancy problems and thinking possibly

should have purchased higher grade product.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :hmm:

Barry i would suggest you spend your money on a better quality scope rather than a red dot sight, because the slightest little knock will put the red dot sight off,

plus they are not very effective on live quarry, as they then to spook.......

i've asked a freind on this subject before commenting as he used to shoot for a while with a red dot sight. and found it not very effective.

hope this helps. SS

Hello folks.

I use a Daystate Airwolf (fac) mainly on rabbits and have a mind to try something different.

I believe they are paralax free at all distances=good,but how practical are red dot sights for live quarry?

Aimpoint for instance seem to offer 2 or 4 MOA dots and i would not have a clue which one to opt for.

Would 4moa totally blot out a rabbits head at 30m and would a 2moa be too small or weak to be effective

at 80m?

I currently use a Simmons White-tail classic but am having consistancy problems and thinking possibly

should have purchased higher grade product.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :hmm:

get the mtc mamba 3x12x44 with xmas tree crosshair mate. cracking optics super clear and the different aim points work super with fac air :thumbs:

I am using a Simmons White-tail classis 3.5-10x50 and never had a bit of bother with accuracy, don't know what they are like past the 40 yard mark but I rate them highly as a no nonsense optic. If you are looking for something a little special have a look at a Hawk Frontier riflescope 6-24x50 or 8-32x50 both spot on for FAC rated rifles and are easy to use and pleasing to the eye.

Regards

Coney.

• 2 weeks later...
Barry i would suggest you spend your money on a better quality scope rather than a red dot sight, because the slightest little knock will put the red dot sight off,

i've asked a freind on this subject before commenting as he used to shoot for a while with a red dot sight. and found it not very effective.

hope this helps. SS

The bit about spooking and being easily knocked off zero makes me think you're thinking of a laser rather than a red dot sight. The reader just means a low 1.0 - 1.5X powered sight that you look through and past with both eyes - you see a red dot in the distance due to your binocular vision. The sight doesn't actually 'project' a dot if you see what I mean. The Swedish company 'Aimpoint' was one of the first and most successful exponents of these sights - their unique selling point was being parralax free (though some of their recent sights aren't at very short ranges - you have to keep the dot inside the circle to overcome this):

http://www.aimpoint.com/

In my experience cheap red dot sights like the Marchwood are horribly parralax sensitive and not worth the bother.

hope this helps. SS

The bit about spooking and being easily knocked off zero makes me think you're thinking of a laser rather than a red dot sight. The reader just means a low 1.0 - 1.5X powered sight that you look through and past with both eyes - you see a red dot in the distance due to your binocular vision. The sight doesn't actually 'project' a dot if you see what I mean. The Swedish company 'Aimpoint' was one of the first and most successful exponents of these sights - their unique selling point was being parralax free (though some of their recent sights aren't at very short ranges - you have to keep the dot inside the circle to overcome this):

http://www.aimpoint.com/

In my experience cheap red dot sights like the Marchwood are horribly parralax sensitive and not worth the bother.

yes mate my mistake, sorry........

but its hard to beat a good simple optic..........these gadgets all have there downfalls.

I'm with Jamie on this one get the MTC will go with the FAC air and will also be great should you decide to move to rim fire.

I think the Americans tend to push the virtues of the aimpoint - personally I don't see the point :tongue2: of them.

Peter