for the record the docking of tails is NOT illegal you just have to meet certain standards if you meet these standards and can find a good vet to perform the op no problem get it microchipped and its all legal and above board

for the record the docking of tails is NOT illegal you just have to meet certain standards if you meet these standards and can find a good vet to perform the op no problem get it microchipped and its all legal and above board

sorry i think your wrong no vet in the uk will dock a rottweilers tail i should no i breed them and there all kc reg hip scored the lot its now classed as cruelty and humane and as far as i no banned as from april last year for working dogs maybe but you will need to prove the pups are to be used in this way also most vets are totally against it unless you find a vet in the country side i use to find it hard to get a vet to dock mine when it was legal as most are against it

This link may help the legal side of things,

http://www.cdb.org/awa/index.htm

To summarise it basicly says working dogs can be docked and docking can take place for medical circumstances, whatever that means.

I think vets would have to make a decision when a dog is repeatedly damaging its tail, i.e. if a dog spilts it on the hard surfaces when wagging, when is leaving the dogs tail on being cruel as this problem would be removed by docking the animal for its own welfare.

As for technique i think the most common form was using bands from about 5 days or so.

Edited by nemo101

Docking of working dogs is still legal as stated BUT finding a vet that will dock isn't easy. My dad ended up going to his farm vet as no pet vets in the area would do it and he tried a fair few vets. The one i'm registered with refused flatly and the nurse looked at me as though I was the spawn of hell!

in answer to the original question the easiest way was to pull skin on tail towards backend of pup laytail on flat sevice and then one clean cut with a sharp stanley knifethen let go of skin it will then usuallycover the tip usualy do this when pups are 2-3 days old put pups staight back in with bitch she will clean them up as for the present day you can-not beat owning a bitch that bites the tails of herself ha-ha