Along the same lines as DS' Badger topic, can we please have info on Mink.

For the inexperienced, please can we have info on their burrows, where are they found, tracks, etc.

I have found a system of holes near a stream and dont want to disturb it if it is the protected otter holt.

Is there any similarities between the mink hole and otter holt?

:thumbs:

Just some observations that me and my hunting friends have made over the last few years.

In our experience mink signs are easily found. Look for the footings on sandy or muddy areas of river bank, as they regularly patrol their stretch of river. The prints being much smaller than an otters, but larger than a stoat.

They WILL be found living where there are otters, but some will tell you otherwise. They may not see eye to eye, but I certainly catch plenty of mink where there are also good numbers of otter.

As for their lairs, piles of driftwood caught up along the banks are popular in my area, as are hollow trees, rock piles, man-made drains and rabbit burrows.

The typical ottter holt in the sand or earth near the bank will have entrances that a typical terrier could fit down, and usually a track or slide leading to the water. But entrances are often beneath overhanging banks. The otter will also be found using drains and other cover from time to time.

We trap mink through late winter/spring, then use dogs to flush them to guns throughout the summer. We use a bobbery pack of spaniels, labs, lurchers, to find them. But the law states that only two can then be used to hunt and flush the mink to the gun. What I find is that they are usually found 'to ground', or otherwise soon get themselves tucked in somewhere. We then use a smoker, or terrier, or sometimes just a stick to get them out. Dogs that will dive under are a big help!

Edited by dogs-n-natives
Guest Ditch_Shitter

Mink Shit

Fresh Laid

post-3041-1208785633.jpg

Dried Out

post-3041-1208785653.jpg

I discerned both these samples by the rank smell, with undertones of fishiness. I've also found samples fairly glistening with fish scales. Obviously, it's largely dependent on where ye find it and so what they've been feeding on in that locale.

Excellent, very helpfull.

Well, I found four entrance holes the size of rat holes and they all interconnect to a main hole that goes back over a meter deep into a mound of soft earth. This is near a stream in a pine forest. Perhaps it is a rat hole, but I didnt know they go that deep into the ground. I have only found them to be shallow. I might try to excavate and see what lies within.

Ditch I have found that shit many times, smeared on my dogs back :laugh: :sick:

I had no idea it was from mink.

Does anyone have a photo of an otter holt? or mink lair?

Guest little_lloyd
Excellent, very helpfull.

Well, I found four entrance holes the size of rat holes and they all interconnect to a main hole that goes back over a meter deep into a mound of soft earth. This is near a stream in a pine forest. Perhaps it is a rat hole, but I didnt know they go that deep into the ground. I have only found them to be shallow. I might try to excavate and see what lies within.

Ditch I have found that shit many times, smeared on my dogs back :laugh: :sick:

I had no idea it was from mink.

Does anyone have a photo of an otter holt? or mink lair?

Mink dont tend to have a permanent place to stay,, Rather a few different little liairs across their territory,, under tree roots,, Rabbit burrows,, Rock/Stick piles etc.

Rolfe has quite a good collection of mink pictures,, Im sure he will share lol.

has anyone had ever put a ferret into a minks lair? :hmm:

if not what do you think the out come would be? :hmm:

Wouldnt do it intentionally, mink dont mess around!

My friend and I were ferreting the flood defence bank, on Beaufront Estate, some 13 or 14 years ago. We were doing well and working our way along when the ferret came out, all fired up! Hairs on its tail like a pipe cleaner! It had also emptied its arse gland and feck, it stank. Wouldnt go back in, and we then noticed a nasty wound- its nose was split in half. So that was that for the day, we guessed it was mink.

I've bolted a mink whilst ferreting rabbits .It popped out either through or under the net and bounded off. On another occasion, having bolted a rabbit the ferret layed- up and while I was trying to lure it out a mink had a go at the dead rabbit I was using as bait. It was inches from my face ,hissing at me.Bit of a shock.(actually I squealed like a toddler .) Eventually the ferret came out ,tail all bottle-brushed but the mink stayed put.

Wouldnt do it intentionally, mink dont mess around!

My friend and I were ferreting the flood defence bank, on Beaufront Estate, some 13 or 14 years ago. We were doing well and working our way along when the ferret came out, all fired up! Hairs on its tail like a pipe cleaner! It had also emptied its arse gland and feck, it stank. Wouldnt go back in, and we then noticed a nasty wound- its nose was split in half. So that was that for the day, we guessed it was mink.

i,ve bolted big dog mink on a few occasions while ferreting , never ever had them give the big dog ferret any confrontation , remember you get some real vicious ferrets , the only time i ever saw a mark on my ferret,s head was from a large dog stoat that came out in a hurry to escape, mink will probably avoid confrontation , because if injured they won,t be able to hunt .

Just a picture of more mink scats.........mink is scats.........otter is spraint..........still sh*t at the end of the day but thought i would point out the difference for the technically minded.

post-12022-1208893244.jpg

post-12022-1208893277.jpg

[so that was that for the day, we guessed it was mink.
i,ve bolted big dog mink on a few occasions while ferreting , never ever had them give the big dog ferret any confrontation , remember you get some real vicious ferrets , the only time i ever saw a mark on my ferret,s head was from a large dog stoat that came out in a hurry to escape, mink will probably avoid confrontation , because if injured they won,t be able to hunt .

I guess i will never know what gave the ferret a bite and scare that day.

Bolted quite a lot of stoats and seen two foxes bolt from a ferret aswell, which on both occaisions took the guns by supprise and escaped!! :laugh:

• 4 weeks later...
LOOKS MORE LIEK A FOX HOLT THEN A MINK HOLE :o

thats why im a keeper and your not.... cos it aint either a fox or mink, its a otter holt, the stones are where the mink regularly hold up.. o and just for the record foxs live in dens and drains not holts..

Edited by alimac