Hi there,wondering if any one can answer my question.I have a cz bruno,heavy barrel and i am thinking of having the barrel shortened.What do you think would be an ideal lenghth?Also is it possible to get a T4 to fit this rifle,if so please send me a link?Cheers

What length is the barrel now? Is it a 16" Varmint heavy barrel?

I have one and have an ASE Ultra mod on it, i doubt you could get a T4 to fit as the barrel is so thick unless they make one to fit them.

The ASE does everything i ask for, no muzzle flash at night, disperses the sound a bit, the .17 is supersonic so youll never get the noise down a lot.

What length is the barrel now? Is it a 16" Varmint heavy barrel?

I have one and have an ASE Ultra mod on it, i doubt you could get a T4 to fit as the barrel is so thick unless they make one to fit them.

The ASE does everything i ask for, no muzzle flash at night, disperses the sound a bit, the .17 is supersonic so youll never get the noise down a lot.

yes what length is the barrel now before you want it cut ? im guessing its longer ie'' 21 inchs ?

if so 16 inchs is perfect lenght great for shooting from a 4x4 as its compact you will lose fps off it from having the barrel shorter but wont really tell any difference out in the field at hmr shooting ranges. i read up abit on barrel lenghts for the hmr and on alot of the sites it said 18 inch is the best overall lenght for a hmr so thats why i got a annie. they came in 14 inch barrels to but ive heard lots of problems with them so that is why i got the 18 inch one.

ive heard people having there barrels on there cz hmr's cut to 14 inchs and have had no problems with them.

i guess its just the annie barrels. the best think i could say is no matter what lenght you go for just make sure you get it done at by someone that has done these things and make sure the crown is redone right.

as for the mode t4 is much to big for hmr what as been said in the other post is bang on the ase mod is about the best you can get. over all you will never get rid of the crack but this mod will help get rid of the boom when the trigger is 1st pulled. if you want to keep the rifle even shorter then get a over barrel mod like a dm80 these are top bits of kit and can be took apart for clearning unlike the ase.

if anything the t4 would be louder then the others as the gas would escape more as its a bigger unit. t4 mod where not really made for rimfire rifles and are more for 22 centrefire rifles. the dm80 is made to fit a 17 hmr bullet to pass though

so that is the better to pick in my book. saying that the ase is about the same i find these to are the best for hmr.

you could get a sak its half the price and does a good job. but it isnt on par with the above to :thumbs:

Hi there,wondering if any one can answer my question.I have a cz bruno,heavy barrel and i am thinking of having the barrel shortened.What do you think would be an ideal lenghth?Also is it possible to get a T4 to fit this rifle,if so please send me a link?Cheers

An IDEAL length depends on what you want to do with it, but I would not suggest you go any less than 16" on a 17HMR.

Two useful and constructive responses above already!

Hi mate had a .17hmr up untill 4 months ago now moved on to .22 centre fire :whistling: --anyway mine was cz american with heavy barrel shortened to 16 inches, fitted with a dragon moderator-- was dogs nuts, great accuracy and the dragon mod shut it up quite a lot ie better than sak.. i am in contact with a local gunsmith who was one of the first to experiment with barrel length on th .17hmr and did a lot of work on accuracy ect, he also manufactures the dragon mods..

if you need any info pm me.

Cheers :gunsmilie:

I may be interested in a Dragon mod if they do a better job than Sak, thats what I got on my CZ American at the moment.

You will have a problem doing any better than a SAK for £30 on a HMR.

You may just improve it by 1 or 2db at best but it will seriously cost you!

:thumbs::thumbs:

I may be interested in a Dragon mod if they do a better job than Sak, thats what I got on my CZ American at the moment.

Is the £30 sak proofed for use on .17 hmr?? because they are asking £60 plus at litts of newport, but these are marked--proofed for .17hmr. :whistling::whistling: Just a thought, this could be a new topic Does a moderator have to be proof marked to be put on ticket??????

Cheers,

Keith

Is the £30 sak proofed for use on .17 hmr?? because they are asking £60 plus at litts of newport, but these are marked--proofed for .17hmr. :whistling::whistling: Just a thought, this could be a new topic Does a moderator have to be proof marked to be put on ticket??????

Cheers,

Keith

£60 in Litts! They dont normally rip off like that. You would have to look on the individual moderator to see whether it has been proofed for an individual calibre or indeed proofed at all. One of the mods on my cert, the centrefire mod, has no proofmarks on the casing and as i cannot see the inside i dont know whether there are any on the inside(unlikely).

So it appears there is no need to have an existing moderator prooved.

This is only from personal experience, others may have other experiences.

Regards

ss06

Cheers,

Keith

£60 in Litts! They dont normally rip off like that. You would have to look on the individual moderator to see whether it has been proofed for an individual calibre or indeed proofed at all. One of the mods on my cert, the centrefire mod, has no proofmarks on the casing and as i cannot see the inside i dont know whether there are any on the inside(unlikely).

Regards

ss06

Thanks, i was only asking because the proofing of moderators seems a GREY area, for example you could go into a gun shop and ask for a sak mod (example ) for an air rifle, one can be handed over the counter with no poblem, but if you ask for a mod for your .22 r/f it has to be put on your ticket and the dealer has to make sure that the mod is up to the job!! hence they say it has to be proofed or sell you one that is already proofed, again this is an added cost on the moderator but is probably exactly the same as air rifle type.( a good example is probably the parker hale--used on both air & rim ) I agree with you as far as litts is concerned, i dont normally have any cause to moan, but for curiosity if you phone and ask price of mod for SAK mod for .17hmr i think you will be told about £60 proofed.

Good to Chat!

Cheers,

Keith

Cheers,

Keith

Regards

ss06

say if you made a mod or had say a sak mod from a air rifle you could put that on your ticket if you have a slot . you dont have to have it proofed to use it on a rifle. but you would have to get it proofed say if you wanted to sell it to someone that was going to use it on there rifles. thats why shops can only sell them proofed mods to people with fac rifles that want one and they must have a space. its like the rifle the guy is having cut down he dont have to have it proofed but he would if he wanted to sell it on to someone.

Cheers,

Keith

Regards

ss06

say if you made a mod or had say a sak mod from a air rifle you could put that on your ticket if you have a slot . you dont have to have it proofed to use it on a rifle. but you would have to get it proofed say if you wanted to sell it to someone that was going to use it on there rifles. thats why shops can only sell them proofed mods to people with fac rifles that want one and they must have a space. its like the rifle the guy is having cut down he dont have to have it proofed but he would if he wanted to sell it on to someone.

Thanks jamie, But i thought that the only person that could enter a mod on your ticket would be the registered dealer, and i did,t think he could put an air rifle mod on a firearms ticket, and as you rightly say if you purchased one of someone else it would have to be proofed, As i said i know some mods are used on air & r/f just interested in the pros & cons..

Cheers

Keith

Cheers,

Keith

Regards

ss06

Thanks jamie, But i thought that the only person that could enter a mod on your ticket would be the registered dealer, and i did,t think he could put an air rifle mod on a firearms ticket, and as you rightly say if you purchased one of someone else it would have to be proofed, As i said i know some mods are used on air & r/f just interested in the pros & cons..

Cheers

Keith

yes your right if he thinks its going to be used on rifles he will only sell you a proofed one and only if you have a slot for it.

but as deker said there isnt a thing stoping you going in and buying a sak mod for a air rifle and informing your firarms department that you no have a mod which you wish to use on your rimfire as long as you have the slot free there shouldnt be a problem. most mods on tickets are put down as unbranded anyway.

on mine it doesnt say dm80 mod and sak mod with id numbers like a rifle. it says 17 hmr unbranded mod,22lr unbranded mod,fac air unbranded mod :thumbs: thats the way to have it. as long as you have the slot and imformed them you will be fine :thumbs: