Split grouping problem

sounds to me like your posture and breathing might be causing you a bit of a problem. and all ex-service person will probabl

y say the same. find a resting position that you are comfortable with, so there is no cause to move,slow breathing and on your in breath hold and squeeze the trigger .but dont snatch at the shot.

I read that you're supposed to hold half way through the out breath, then pull the trigger! Works for me! :thumbs:

The last part is correct. The shot should be taken at a half expelled breath and the trigger is squeezed not pulled.

Personally I think it is mechanical.

Let us know how you get on and what the prob was if you fix it. We all need the knowledge.

H

U MUST BE RIGHT MATE AND THE BRITISH FORCES WERE WRONG FOR 9 YEARS LOL :clapper:

If I'm not mistaken, there's a little bit of difference between an air rifle & a SA80. :hmm::thumbs:

Taken from the British field target association technical skills manual:

Breathing

Due to the movement created by breathing it is impossible to release an accurate shot without

holding the breath. However as soon as breathing is suspended the body’s functions begin to

deteriorate as hypoxia (oxygen starvation) sets in. The eyes ability to function is the first to go

followed by the muscles, which begin to contract erratically. Not least there is a feeling that ‘I

must breathe, I must breathe….’ as the body tries to protect itself. All of which are not conducive

to firing a controlled shot. These ill effects can be avoided if breathing is suspended for only a

short period of time. This is around 10 seconds on an exhalation, slightly more on inhalation.

When breathing in, the chest muscles become tense, relaxing as you breath out. As we desire

to reduce tension in a shooting position it is therefore desirable to suspend breathing on

exhalation.

Yep that's the way that I was taught.

It is also true that Olympic shooters and nearly all snipers have been found to fire their shot between heartbeats. Sounds crazy but true. They were wired up to monitors. The shooters themselves don't even know they are doing it.

Anyway, whatever the reason for the split grouping lets hope it's fixed sharpish.

All the best

H

Thanks for the replies so far. I wont get a chance to try again until Sunday, and I'll take a second scope with me and try that if all else fails as the one on the gun is brand new.

I was hoping that the FN19 would have some well known problem that causes such a wierd problem - like a loose figure of 8 bracket or some screw in the action etc.

The two subgroups which comprise the group are extremely precise one hole groups, just the 20 mm between them thats the problem LOL :icon_redface:

When I find the answer I'll post it up in case its a help to anyone else.

• 2 weeks later...
When I find the answer I'll post it up in case its a help to anyone else.

Twas the front scope mount. Bracket/screws bottoming out coincided with the clamp being barely nipped on. Not loose exactly but not tight either. I only noticed it because I started to dismantle everything out of frustration and loosened the rear mount first.