What other dog to accompany a lurcher???

Hello all, as some of you may know im living at home with my folks and were moving house in the next few months and im getting a lurcher.

My old man wants another dog, hes suggested staffy and english (which weve both had before) and also a little jack russel.

He is open to suggestions so im wondering what other dog might get along best with a lurcher? He wants it as a pet more than anything and as were moving to a small holding he wants something to keep an eye on the place and let us know when someones about.

We dont want a big rotty or german shepherd or anything though.

Im thinking patterdale, border terrier, jack russell (i know these are great little watch dogs with bags of courage) something along these lines which i could also make use of in the field ;-)

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Gaz

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was the first thing i suggested to my dad, about the staffy/EBT being of no use in the field. However i rekon alot of staffy/EBT owners would disagree and say that they can be used...

Which terrier would you reccomend? Am i right in thinking that they will be a better guard dog/watch dog than a lurcher?

Thanks

Gaz

IVE GOT A STAFFY MATE AND A RUSSELL BITCH AND I WOULD TAKE THE RUSSELL BITCH EVERY TIME WHEN IT COMES TO RABBITING PURELY BECAUSE THATS WHAT THEY ARE BRED FOR UNLIKE A STAFFY. THE LURCHERS DO MAKE GOOD GUARD DOGS MATE IVE GOT A PUBLIC FOOTPATH THAT RUNS PAST MY GARDEN AND WHENEVER ANYONE WALKS UP THERE THE LURCHERS GO MAD.

border terrier excellent workers especially in conjunction with a lurcher great at flushing from undergrowth etc. allways want to please you also loyal pets very versatile they will work all day, play, or just sleep what ever you want to do.

Have to agree with you on that

Mick..

Hello all, as some of you may know im living at home with my folks and were moving house in the next few months and im getting a lurcher.

My old man wants another dog, hes suggested staffy and english (which weve both had before) and also a little jack russel.

He is open to suggestions so im wondering what other dog might get along best with a lurcher? He wants it as a pet more than anything and as were moving to a small holding he wants something to keep an eye on the place and let us know when someones about.

We dont want a big rotty or german shepherd or anything though.

Im thinking patterdale, border terrier, jack russell (i know these are great little watch dogs with bags of courage) something along these lines which i could also make use of in the field ;-)

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Gaz Weve borders and lurchers they all get on and work smashing together borders are probably the easiest going terriers in a pack

Cheers to everyone who has replied. Looks like a little terrier it will be then :D

Will deffo be getting the lurcher first anyway and bring him on a bit. Then introduce a terrier later (if we decide to get one.) Im working on the lurcher being a house dog at the moment, mum says theyre too big for in the house but she will see sense, lol. I just think that a better bond will exist if hes in the house with me and will see more of people in general than being kenneled alone.

Gaz

IF YOUR GETTING A LURCHER MATE I WOULD GET A TERRIER TO WORK WITH IT KNOCKING RABBITS OUT THE HEDGES. IF YOU GET A STAFFY OR ENGLISH THERE NOT REALLY ANY USE OUT ON THE FIELDS.

i had a staff bitch that worked very well in the bushes and even tried to go to ground once or twice. i never took her perpously to work it was bt accident down the local park where she flushed 3 rabbits out and killed 2 rats and one was out of the water. cracking little dog. but they arnt all like that so the russel would be #1 choice or even 2 of em would be better.

I'd say try a border collie as sometimes having a big dog and a small dog doesn't end too well for the small dog if someone disagrees with the other ... I love my collie, she nicely rounds out our group of dogs with her intelligence and constant good humor. She bushes nicely, is frighteningly obedient, perfect in the house or on the farm, is a good watchdog, is not high strung, is great with people and dogs and we have used her as a lurcher in a pinch as well.

just my .02 cents ...

i wouldnt say a lurcher wont gaurd!! both mine bark like hell and one of them does and will bite!! if your going to a smal holding i would go for a decent working collie..they bush/mark well and farm collie's hate fox's with a passion..they really are an underrated dog..why do you think so many people in the country side have them.. :victory: