Help for novice rabbiter

Hello.

I have never rabbited before though have a 4 month old bitch Whippet and would like to get her into it.

I am not looking for a dedicated rabbit dog but would like to take her to my mates farm and get her a bit of exercise without embarrassing herself and me.

What age should I start her off?

Is it OK to just let her run after a few at this stage to make her keen?

There are a few fields near me where there are signs of a lot of burrows. What are the best times to go and get a good chance of seeing a few. I tend o walk her near dusk and have seen the odd one but they scarper as soon as we enter the field?

Before someone pulls me about poaching I know I need permission to hunt, (will get that on my friends farm) but want her to get an idea of what she is supposed to do.

Many thanks in advance.

Make sure youv have good control over the dog first, because when it catches it first rabbit it

will be very excited. You just want a one to one, no other dog there. Regards age why doint you

wait till its 9months, try it on a daft [june] rabbit. Doint forget its just a pup.

BIRD

hi i started of just like you when i was younger im only 21 but i found out the hard way and just stuck to me and 1 dog did basic training and ferreting , im no expert but get a good bond between you and your dog , i agree with BIRD 9 months old is a perfect age to start and if you are anything like me when i first started you'll be hooked on it , ferreting is a great way of starting a dog off

cheers loves2hunt

Guest smashygadge

as above all good advice i only started last year. with my pup started him with

the ferret, and got him freindly with them so he new difference between that and

the rabbit.ive not looked back i love the sport ,and i did my initial training when

their were a few young rabbits about .but ferreting gives them a great taste for their

quarry .and good luck :victory:

Guest dog on

i know this will probibly start a debait but can some one realy say what age is realy the right time to start a pup of and why .if it was me i would let it have a look at what ever it wanted to and let it learn by its mistakes .by doing this all my dogs have turned out A1 so i must be doing something right i never pick my dogs up over fences and i never put any of my dogs on a lead when working them this includes pups

9 months would be a good guide the back end of august still a good few young rabbits to start off your dog at the moment its still a pup let it stay a pup and keep it training going as a game and when august comes round the dog will do you proud enter a dog early and you may spoil it besides its bones are not finshed developing just yet by all means show him live stock but just dont allow him a full on chase better to start off on a rabbit you know the dog will catch give him one or two then end oh a high note with the dog. dont run him untill he misses just a few each time you go out and back home you will see when he,s ready or at least you should good luck enjoy the pup you have because it wont last for long :good:

i know this will probibly start a debait but can some one realy say what age is realy the right time to start a pup of and why .if it was me i would let it have a look at what ever it wanted to and let it learn by its mistakes .by doing this all my dogs have turned out A1 so i must be doing something right i never pick my dogs up over fences and i never put any of my dogs on a lead when working them this includes pups

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Spot on.

My pup has been coming out with me and my other two dogs since she was fully jagged (about 12 weeks of age). She's been ferreting, watched the other dogs catch, mark etc.

Now I know she is not going to catch anything yet (shes only 5 months) but everyday she learns something new.

I've used this method for 30+ years and it hasn't gone wrong yet.

Guest dog on

Spot on.

My pup has been coming out with me and my other two dogs since she was fully jagged (about 12 weeks of age). She's been ferreting, watched the other dogs catch, mark etc.

Now I know she is not going to catch anything yet (shes only 5 months) but everyday she learns something new.

can i ask you how often do your dogs get injured Edited by dog on

Spot on.

can i ask you how often do your dogs get injured

Rarely. edited to add I think I know where you are coming from.

Guest dog on

Spot on.

Rarely.

Edited by dog on
Guest dog on

Spot on.

and i bet they got bags of stamina

Rarely.