Snaring Squirrels

Made a bait station today (Pics below). Using 4 inch plastic drainpipe about 10 inches long, two fence wire hoops to attach the snares to and already prebaited with peanuts, monkey nuts, almonds, hazelnuts and wheat.

I will leave the station well fed for a couple of days before setting the snares. Anyone interested in making one should read the topic Squirrel Snaring in the pinned section of this forum.

H

post-16512-1207083413.jpg

post-16512-1207083432.jpg

HI HOLDAWAY ,

CAN I ASK ............ WHATS THE NAILS FOR AT THE SIDES ?

ALSO MATE I THINK I WOULD HAVE THE HOOPS FURTHER AWAY FROM THE BAIT STATION AND IN SETS OF TWO EITHER SIDE .......... AND THE POLE A BIT SMALLER IN DIAMETER WOULD BE MY CHOICE

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

Hi Duckwing. The nails are actually spare bits of wire, using them as a guide because the pole is so wide. Pole was the only one to hand, and also the snare hoops are where they are for the same reasons.

I have a feeling that the wire will tangle the snare at drop off, but what the hell you have to try right?

As soon as a longer pole comes into my possession I will swap the bait station over. This is really just a trial to see if I can entice the greys to feed there.

H

HI HOLDAWAY ,

CAN I ASK ............ WHATS THE NAILS FOR AT THE SIDES ?

ALSO MATE I THINK I WOULD HAVE THE HOOPS FURTHER AWAY FROM THE BAIT STATION AND IN SETS OF TWO EITHER SIDE .......... AND THE POLE A BIT SMALLER IN DIAMETER WOULD BE MY CHOICE

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

duckwing is right the hoops are to near the pipe , you dont need nails or wire hammered into pole to guide the animal , as the diam. of the pole itself will suffice, as the squirrel will run dead centre along the surface of the pole right into the snare loop. the set up looks fine otherwise, but i think you should invite me, colin , and duckwing, down to sample all those succulent variety of nuts your feeding them, as all the squirrels will be coming from the neighbouring county also. take care .

Ok, ok, just cause you two guys know what you are doing and I don't! :thumbs:

I have moved the hoops another foot or so back from the tube, anymore and they will be in the trees! The pole I am using is only about five feet long and I didn't want the little buggers to drop off the trees onto the pole and bypass the hoops. Maybe that won't happen... fingers crossed.

I have also taken out the wire 'guiders' as both duckwing and snareman have suggested, it did already cross my mind that the snare wire might get tangles up in them.

Thanks for the advice guys, always appreciated. :notworthy:

H

Edited to say: The nut cocktail can be the whores duvet, squirrel for main!

Edited by Holdaway

Well what do you know?

The blood in the ear is where I belted the little buger with a great big stick.

I didn't have the gun with me.

post-16512-1207416173.jpg

Later that day

Rook bait, gutted and minus tail (salmon flies)

post-16512-1207416269.jpg

Well another one well proven I think. Well done G.S.

H

Think i might have a go at making one of these :)

We have squirells in our woods so should be alright.

How do you bait it up ?

Butch

I use peanuts, hazelnuts, almonds, monkey nuts, wheat, and conkers!

Once I caught the first, I rubbed his genitals all over my other traps, nearby trees and along the pole to the bait station.

Seems to work fine, the smell of my hands doesn't seem to bother them, and I smoke...

H

Sounds great.

Just had a look for a bit of pipe but its only 6.5cm and should be 4 inches. Anything else i can use ?

Butch

Yep, according the 'pinned' posting by G.S. Waters, you can use an old milk carton, coke bottle, or anything that is a wide enough tube/holder.

H