bullet cost

can any reloaders help------on other topics on this site i have said that i am going to reload ammo for my .22 hornet. After the reloading kit is baught, how much of a saving is there compared to factory rounds, how much to reload 1 round ie bullet + primer +powder i will reload brass from fired rounds--- is it really worth the effort?? <_<

Cheers

That question is lingering in my mind too, as i intend to reload .222,

i have loaded nontoxic stuff for ducks and geese for shotguns over the past few seasons and they difference is noticeable not only in price but performance.

Interestin to know what others think.

I do not and never have reloaded, and don't know anything about it, although I hear a lot of good things about reloading.

Apart from cost..just how long does it take to load a round???

KEITH.

this question is asked by just about anyone who buys a rifle.

when i first started loading i was shown by well known fox man,he convinced me with this statement.

if your a deer stalker who may only shoot 30-40 rounds a year then reloading will not be cheaper than buying factory ammo

the time saved reloading will be better spent out stalking.but if you are a fox-rabbit-deer-crow shooter then investing a few quid[a few quid thats an understatement] and a lot of time in tuning your loads to suite your rifles will yield bigger rewards than the deer stalker can dream of.

this is as all reloaders know true with your own gear you can fine tune a number of loads to get the best out of your rifles.the initial set up cost of reloading equipment is quite high add on powder- bullets- primers etc and the cost will bring tears to your eyes.the whole deal though with reloading is satisfaction in producing something you cannot get with factory ammo.as time goes on the set up costs are offset by being able to make your ammo cheaper than factory ammo.

in a nut shell -if you can afford to invest in some reloading gear do it you wont look back.there are plenty of experienced folk on this site that will help[myself included]and advise you.

GO ON TAKE THE PLUNGE! :)

how much to reload 1 round ie bullet + primer +powder

bullets , i use 40grn blitkings-£16 per 100

primers 2p each. powder £30-1lb approx- 550 rounds.

brass - coppers.

do it if you use a lot. i have done over 2000 rounds in 13 month,

this is hornet and 223.

brass - coppers.

this is hornet and 223.

So something like 26-30p a shot.

Not bad about £1.50 less than a premium factory round in .223 e.g Remington 50 gr Acuutips.

On that basis then once youve loaded 3-400 rounds it would have offset the equipment and start up costs.

Sounds good to me.

brass - coppers.

this is hornet and 223.

Not bad about £1.50 less than a premium factory round in .223 e.g Remington 50 gr Acuutips.

On that basis then once youve loaded 3-400 rounds it would have offset the equipment and start up costs.

Sounds good to me.

plus the accuracy factor, makes it well worth it.

brass - coppers.

this is hornet and 223.

Sounds good to me.

plus the accuracy factor, makes it well worth it.

Yeah, i would like to get everything i can out of my .222, i know it is renowned as a very accurate cartridge so ill give it a go i think within the next few months. Those Remmy Accutips, in my CZ put a 3 shot group under an inch at 100 yrds, but for a former benchrest cartridge, it can get a lot lot better.

thanks

ss06

brass - coppers.

this is hornet and 223.

Not bad about £1.50 less than a premium factory round in .223 e.g Remington 50 gr Acuutips.On that basis then once youve loaded 3-400 rounds it would have offset the equipment and start up costs.

Sounds good to me.

Did I miss something here, are you paying in the order of £1.80p EACH for these???

Also, on the other hand remember you can buy CHEAP Factory Barnaul in .223 Rem from the likes of Peter Lawman for £13.95p per 100

primers 3 pence each

40 grain v max heads 17.5 pence each

223o powder is £23 tub..not sure how many rounds we get because we are load developing other peoples rifles and use quite abit...

there is an awful lot to learn as regards re loading..even to seating depth of ther bullet for your rifle has a huge bearing on accurcy...

KEITH.

when i first started loading i was shown by well known fox man,he convinced me with this statement.

if your a deer stalker who may only shoot 30-40 rounds a year then reloading will not be cheaper than buying factory ammo

the time saved reloading will be better spent out stalking.but if you are a fox-rabbit-deer-crow shooter then investing a few quid[a few quid thats an understatement] and a lot of time in tuning your loads to suite your rifles will yield bigger rewards than the deer stalker can dream of.

this is as all reloaders know true with your own gear you can fine tune a number of loads to get the best out of your rifles.the initial set up cost of reloading equipment is quite high add on powder- bullets- primers etc and the cost will bring tears to your eyes.the whole deal though with reloading is satisfaction in producing something you cannot get with factory ammo.as time goes on the set up costs are offset by being able to make your ammo cheaper than factory ammo.

in a nut shell -if you can afford to invest in some reloading gear do it you wont look back.there are plenty of experienced folk on this site that will help[myself included]and advise you.

Thank you all for your replys, much appreciated..

Garyw-- i have looked on the net and found LEE anniversary loading kit from Sportsman essex, says it contains all you want for reloading( except dies which i already have) cost is £81 sale price are these good enough??? <_<

brass - coppers.

this is hornet and 223.

Not bad about £1.50 less than a premium factory round in .223 e.g Remington 50 gr Acuutips.On that basis then once youve loaded 3-400 rounds it would have offset the equipment and start up costs.

Sounds good to me.

Did I miss something here, are you paying in the order of £1.80p EACH for these???

Also, on the other hand remember you can buy CHEAP Factory Barnaul in .223 Rem from the likes of Peter Lawman for £13.95p per 100

Certainly for Remington 50 gr Accutips in .222 they are around £17-18 for 20, .22-250 are around £20-21 for 20.

So, yes around £.170-£1.80 a round.

I have only ever shot these in my .222 as they seem to group well being factory and all.

I have dealt with Peter Lawman in the past for powders, primers and cases for shotgun reloading and always found him to be well stocked.

You seem very shocked over the remingtons.

ss06

brass - coppers.

this is hornet and 223.

Sounds good to me.

Certainly for Remington 50 gr Accutips in .222 they are around £17-18 for 20, .22-250 are around £20-21 for 20.

I have only ever shot these in my .222 as they seem to group well being factory and all.

I have dealt with Peter Lawman in the past for powders, primers and cases for shotgun reloading and always found him to be well stocked.

ss06

I think you'll find it's about 80p to £1 per round if thats the calculation your using mate.

Remember your buying 20 rounds not 10

brass - coppers.

this is hornet and 223.

Sounds good to me.

ss06

I think you'll find it's about 80p to £1 per round if thats the calculation your using mate.

Remember your buying 20 rounds not 10

Funny how simple things like that can slip past without any thought or care isnt it. Am i bad.

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

KEITH.

Thank you all for your replys, much appreciated..

Garyw-- i have looked on the net and found LEE anniversary loading kit from Sportsman essex, says it contains all you want for reloading( except dies which i already have) cost is £81 sale price are these good enough??? <_<

keith, the anniversary pack will be ok it's a reloading basic starter pack, if this is the pack with the four hole turret press, then go for the package with the basic single stage press,

the turret press has a little bit of upward play which does not give consistant C .O.L., its ok for starting out but for the most accurate rounds you need to step up a grade with the press, my press alone cost 230 euro.

the set up costs alone stand me over 1000 euro.

buy a redding press and dies then you'll have them for a lifetime, lyman also good.