Twist rate of CZ .222

Does anyone know what the twist rate is in these guns, i intend to start to reload metallic cartridges soon and would like to know what weight bullets my gun will stabilise.

Thanks

ss06

i think they have a 1in12 or 1in14 twist rate mate like 22/250 rifles do.

this is so they can fire light bullets fast like 40gr or 50gr

a lad i no has just started reloading his cz 222 and he is starting out with the 40gr vmax

very accurate and flat shooting. he has been told.

i have read some where that high twist rate barrels dont like heavy bullets as they are harder to stabilise

them. so accuracy isnt as good and fps is alot slower. but i read somewhere that sometimes heavy bullets

can be stabilise in these barrels if its got a bit more powder in the homeload as the extra speed will stabilise

it then.

but i would think use the lighter 40gr or 50gr bullets in it. that what the high twist rate is for.

must admit ive bee reading alot about the 222 lately and with 40gr bullets people have been getting super groups

and a nice flat shooting rifle out to 200 yards with the 222.

i look forward to seeing what loads you come up with :yes:

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268084 here is some loads the lads on this site have found good

hope it helps

Edited by jamie g

Thanks jamie,

I have only had the gun for a few weeks and even with factory remmy 50gr accutips it is grouping under and inch.

i bought a scope the other day, the new swarovski Z6 1.7-24x42. this should give me a good set up and so im looking forward to getting a lot more practise in.

i will pst what i discover on here.

thanks

I had in the back of my mind these are 1-9 but I could well be wrong (maybe thinking about the .223).

Check out http://www.edgar-brothers.co.uk/ORIGINAL_SITE/ but I don't think you will find the twist rate....

Or drop an email to admin@edgar-brothers.demon.co.uk

They are usually quite good and will hopefully come straight back to you with the twist!

Thanks jamie,

I have only had the gun for a few weeks and even with factory remmy 50gr accutips it is grouping under and inch.

i bought a scope the other day, the new swarovski Z6 1.7-24x42. this should give me a good set up and so im looking forward to getting a lot more practise in.

i will pst what i discover on here.

thanks

heard the new swaro scope is very nice mate. wish i could aford one :laugh:

sounds like a good set up you have there :toast::whistling:8)

Thanks Snap Shot,

Now i suppose the question is what is the highest grain a 1 in 14 twist will stabilise.

Also, jamie

i went in to litts with the intention of buying something completely different, and ended up walking out with a scope, but i couldnt get over the clarity of it, was looking in the shop, which is fairly dark and gloomy and i could easily see cobwebbs on the wall at the other end in a dark corner amazing.

I had a good deal with them too, uttings listed them as £920 and i had it and a pair of leupold 30mm mounts for £850. still a huge amount to spend on a tube of glass but there you go,will last i spose.

Thanks

ss06

the .222 offers up to 60 grain bullets but some will not stabilize in the 1 in 14 twist so i would suggest you drop down to the 55 grain v-max with a good b.c. of .255, or the 53 grain bthp from hornady also with a bc of .229. the 60 grain will need speeds in excess of 3000fps to stabilize which is very hot in .222 for this size of bullet ,

but i would suggest loading the .222 with 40 grain v-max and letting them fly at about 3400 to 3500 fps these will be good but will be a little easy to bloe about in the wind, with a bc of .200. :thumbs:

Thanks again SS

i have shot a few foxes now with the remmy 50gr accutip boat tails and they seems to blow foxy around the field and they travel about 3140 i think.

Its all about seeing what suits the rifle really aint it so will just have to fire plenty of rounds, theres a shame! :yes:

Would like to try the 40gr v max and a few of the heavier ones, but as you say the 60 gr going at 3000+ is a little hot for the little .222

I watched some videos of the varmint grenades from Barnes yesterday, they seem as if they are a safe round with plenty of explosiveness in them, will no doubt try a few of them too if i can.

Thanks

ss06

If i were shooting huge amounts then i would go with cheaper ones, but i think last year i shot about 40 so i mite 'bite the bullet' and go for the more expensive ones if they group well in the rifle.

But if i like the others then why change.

I know the .222 is a former benchrest cartridge so are 1/2" groups fairly easily achievable with a good homeload.