Brocock Safari hunting?

Hi all im lucky enough to own one of the brocock safari's on an FAC and wanted to get an idea what quaries i could shoot with it (ie would it be upto the job of taking a rabbit etc) and what kind of ranges i can expect clean kills from..

Any tips or hints on how to best squeeze as much power as possible outta the sucker would be appreciated (hardly matters if it goes over 12ft lbs now does it) as far as ammunition goes im using bisley magnums altho ive been advised by brocock to try air arms diablo hunters (the rifle is .22 for those not familiar with it).

Many thanks look forward to your replies :notworthy:

Edited by JamesLeic

Hi all im lucky enough to own one of the brocock safari's on an FAC and wanted to get an idea what quaries i could shoot with it (ie would it be upto the job of taking a rabbit etc) and what kind of ranges i can expect clean kills from..

Any tips or hints on how to best squeeze as much power as possible outta the sucker would be appreciated (hardly matters if it goes over 12ft lbs now does it) as far as ammunition goes im using bisley magnums altho ive been advised by brocock to try air arms diablo hunters (the rifle is .22 for those not familiar with it).

Many thanks look forward to your replies :notworthy:

Help me out on this, I understood all Brocock owners became elligible for a fac on much easier terms than a conventional fac but simply for the Brocock. Do you therefore hold a FAC with any conditions attached for the Brocock or is it unconditional.

I understand the Original rifles were meant to get to 12ft lb, but maybe did 9ft lb or 10ft lb if you were very lucky! Even if you could get there I would suggest Bisley Magnum at 21.4g is still a bit too heavy! I don't know it these cartridges and seals will take much more anyway!

9ft lb is still plenty to knock down a rabbit, but just not quite so far away as 12ft lb!

Edited by Deker

According to a gunsmith at brocock the cartridges are recommended to be charged to 232 bar and would "easily reach 12ft lbs when using the slim jim charger" however he also said "the cartridges if in perfect order could hold upto 300 bar and were capable of 14 ftlbs!!!" .

From my own expereince this would be difficult however i am planning on visiting the gentleman in question for a tune up on my brocock and he will be showing me how to get to this 14 ft lbs using a chrono he did say using diablo pellets (im guessing some pellets get stuck on the lip of the cartridges if too big).

As far as my fac go's it is unrestricted with regards to my brococks :clapper: and as far as easier terms go's we were fast tracked and were not required to provide "reasons for use" ie we didnt need a permission or to belong to a club ,other than that it was the same process (i.e. we needed a british standard gun cabinet that was in an approved location, references,medical record and criminal record checks plus any psychological history was taken into account before being accepted).

Thanks for the info tho deker what sort of ranges would you surgest i know the seals and condition of the cartridge can make shot to shot power different er go i was thinking 25 yard on the basis it shouldnt go below 10ft plbs (worse case scenario if i do manage to get them to 14 since the cartridge would be holding back 300bar only thing which should escape my notice would be a very slow leak *rare as its usually complete seal failure or non at all*)

Edited by JamesLeic
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry to revive an old topic but i just wanted to say my brocock's pump etc has returned from the gunsmiths and all i can say is wow bit of a difference i know they have walther barrels but that extra bit of power is doing wonders for longer range accuracy ive now add a sling stud and rockmount bipod to round it off and its become a real tack driver well please.

Only draw back is the silencer isnt really as silent as it was theirs a very audible hiss from the extra pressure but its worth it.

Brocock you lot are legends :notworthy:

Edited by JamesLeic