out tomorrow advice needed

hi all. ime going out tomorrow, i havnt been out in a wile.my ferret will bolt the odd rabbit but usually she will just wonder about as if shes not intrested when i know theres rabbits down the hole,have anyone got any advice they can give me please?

Sometimes the ferret knows best..and it depends how experienced and trustworthy your ferret is..and what you know about her..most of the lads who ferret a lot and keep a decent reliable ferret or two will tell you that sometimes a sett may look like it is holding rabbits..but the ferret takes a sniff at the hole and moves on..nothing at home you can guarantee..

get another ferret

am not trying to be funny, but asking a single ferret to bolt rabbits, is in my eye's asking alot, ferrets by nature are socialble and should be kept in two's or more, if you havent been ferreting in a while, that could be your problem, also Ive always found, if one ferrets darts down the hole, others will follow, or as already stated, maybe the fert know's better than you,

last week, we ferreted a warren that I would have bet £100 on, that we'd get loads from, we got one, yet a bit further along, on a sorry looking warren, we had bolts/digs, and lots of blooded ferts

but we put 3/4/ and 5's down

get another ferret

am not trying to be funny, but asking a single ferret to bolt rabbits, is in my eye's asking alot, ferrets by nature are socialble and should be kept in two's or more, if you havent been ferreting in a while, that could be your problem, also Ive always found, if one ferrets darts down the hole, others will follow, or as already stated, maybe the fert know's better than you,

last week, we ferreted a warren that I would have bet £100 on, that we'd get loads from, we got one, yet a bit further along, on a sorry looking warren, we had bolts/digs, and lots of blooded ferts

but we put 3/4/ and 5's down

That just about sums it for me Stubby..and that would describe a typical day with the ferrets..things aint always as it looks..as a kid I used to wonder why the ferrets sometimes would not enter a fresh looking sett..yet rush into a less likely looking burrow further on and clean it out..rabbits bolting right and left from holes I never saw blocked with fallen leaves etc...it did'nt occur to me back then that the ferret simply knew what it was doing..and thankfully so..because I certainly did'nt..but I enjoyed myself all the same..

all the best

Your ferrets still a youngster your asking a lot of it i never class a ferret as a worker till there second or third year ,your finding out now that there might be rabbits in a berry but your ferrets not going deep enough to find them and bolt them .We work six at a time but the seasons drawing to a close and the rabbits will be caught other ways shame really as ferreting gives the best buzz

ferreted for year and the only time i take ferrets out on there own is small warrens and decent proven workers, had some ferrets that worked well on there own some of the dog ferrets i had were decent workers singly or with a couple of jills etc got a first year apprentice, dog ferret he works well but not to good at comeing out easly i was to rough with him one day but he shall come round but kills and bolts on his own no problem ferrets etc are all diffrent, for doing a seruois bit of ferrreting three to four ferrets and years ago i kept seven in there prime cheers, some learn better than others and some strains work better than others

It seems to me that you don't work your ferret much but I bet you feed him well? so why should he work??.So I would recommend not feeding him the day before you take him out, only because you don't work it a lot. A ferret that is worked knows instinctively what to do and i would feed before taking out.And I have learned to say on hear"In my opinion". :thumbs: