20 quid air rifle

hi guys i just bought an old rifle of a mate for 20 quid its an old bsa mercury are these any good by todays standards?.

and it fires ok no rear sight but i have put a scope on it and messed about a little zeroing it not spot on yet but seems ok .

do you think this would be ok for ratting down my allotment at say 20 yards ?

cheers mal

:) shot ye mate and see if it sticks in . the only reason i asked about rats and shooting em is we have loads over our gardens but i dont want to shoot them if this rifle is not up to the jobi know its only a rat but i would want to kill it and not injure it any body had or have a mercury ok i know its an old gun but it seems like in its day it may have been a beauty cheers mal

ye i guessed it was a joke mate :) and ok on the can shooting it goes three ply deep into half inch ply useing wasp pellets at about 15 yards so i guess it should kill longtails no probs i wont even concider shooting owt else over there until i get a better rifle cheers again mate for your reply its a lonley life been a newbie :)

i have a bsa mercury mark 2,

have a look on google for the plans to see what one yours is

mines ment to be a collectable i picked it up for 30 quid about 10 years ago now an apparently its about 20 years old when i got it,

i changed the spring because it was knakerd,the seals are all blown an its a right pile of shit some times.

but a good plinker and sometimes a bloody good gun even though its old,

but i did put an ox eccelerator spring in it though,and even though its shite i still bag the odd woodie with it,allbeit its few an far between

ok on you haveing the mk2 i dont have a clue what this one is all it says on it is mercury

and ill look about on net for more info on it i have read that it was similar to the airsporter but break barrel ans not underlever and if i remember rightly the airsporter was a decent gun in the 70s cheers mal

ok on you haveing the mk2 i dont have a clue what this one is all it says on it is mercury

and ill look about on net for more info on it i have read that it was similar to the airsporter but break barrel ans not underlever and if i remember rightly the airsporter was a decent gun in the 70s cheers mal

i only found out mine what mine was buy getting the plans there a 3in total and looking for your gun each one is slightly different,

www.chambersgunmakers.co.uk is written on the plans cant remember if i got it from there may help you tho.post-14154-1206565811_thumb.pngpost-14154-1206565838_thumb.pngMk2.gif]

ahh found them

post-14154-1206565857_thumb.png

It could be worth chucking a new spring in mate if it aint be done allready, im sure you will notice a differnt ;)

Would it not be a better idea to chrono the gun first, whats the point of 'chucking' in a new spring if it's already powerful enough for the job intended.

It could be worth chucking a new spring in mate if it aint be done allready, im sure you will notice a differnt ;)

Would it not be a better idea to chrono the gun first, whats the point of 'chucking' in a new spring if it's already powerful enough for the job intended.

Emphasise "it could be" and "if it aint be done allready". :rolleyes:

Edited by AIRGUNNER
hi guys i just bought an old rifle of a mate for 20 quid its an old bsa mercury are these any good by todays standards?.

and it fires ok no rear sight but i have put a scope on it and messed about a little zeroing it not spot on yet but seems ok .

do you think this would be ok for ratting down my allotment at say 20 yards ?

cheers mal

I understand this was usually a 10-11ft lb gun. If you had one that made it over 11ft lb you had a good one.

The basic gun has plenty of power for rats at 20 yards but as a ratting gun .22 would be best.

At £20 I suspect a "service" at least could be in order and a chrono will help (many dealers will chrono for you)

Just get it zeroed and give it a try on targets/softwood penetration and get an idea how it is performing!

well im still no wiser as to which mercury it is i cannot tell from the plans ( i know im thick ) as to replaceing the spring i wouldnt know where to start dont get me wrong im ok doing stuff like that ,

but never stripped a rifle down i would prob knacker it up and im not really intanding to increase the power but more like returning it to its original spec cheers mal