Welcome. What should I do Now?

Welcome all im new to this melarcky.

Just wondered if any one has any views on this.

I recently inherited a cz .22 hornet, got all the variation sorted and collected it to find the rifle in a really mucky condition soi took it straight to my gunsmith for a good service only to be told that the rifling is buggered half way down the barrel. Now in two minds whether to go and buy new .22 hornet or get another variation and go for a .17hmr.

Any views / comments greatly appreciated. Thanks

by buggered do you mean it wont fire or its just worn?buy some cheap ammo and shoot it to see what it will do,if its a no go get it rebarreled or buy new youll enjoy shooting the hornet.17 hmr is a good round but you can load for the hornet cheaper than buying ammo for the 17hmr.

good luck with your choice

by buggered do you mean it wont fire or its just worn?buy some cheap ammo and shoot it to see what it will do,if its a no go get it rebarreled or buy new youll enjoy shooting the hornet.17 hmr is a good round but you can load for the hornet cheaper than buying ammo for the 17hmr.

Sorry I mean its pitted and worn.

Sorry I mean its pitted and worn.

Well, if the rest of the gun is ok. Do like gary said and get it re-barreled. Read the article at the top of this section by baldie, then you will bed it in properly and have a gun that should do you for years.

I recently inherited a cz .22 hornet, got all the variation sorted and collected it to find the rifle in a really mucky condition soi took it straight to my gunsmith for a good service only to be told that the rifling is buggered half way down the barrel. Now in two minds whether to go and buy new .22 hornet or get another variation and go for a .17hmr.

So...what has the gunsmith suggested who found this disaster?

Perhaps a re-bore...Hornet it .22 so try boring the barrel out to .222 or .223, and .223 ammo is cheap as well, ask the gunsmith.

:whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

Perhaps a re-bore...Hornet it .22 so try boring the barrel out to .222 or .223, and .223 ammo is cheap as well, ask the gunsmith.

:whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

:rofl::haha:

Sadly I doubt it's possible, Hornet is .223 or .224 depending on the age of the rifle (newer is .224) just like the other 22's, but it has lighter bullets. (generally)

Sadly I doubt it's possible, Hornet is .223 or .224 depending on the age of the rifle (newer is .224) just like the other 22's, but it has lighter bullets. (generally)

Mr Logic...go back to bed and get some more sleep, then come back and have another look ....clue.....:whistling::whistling::whistling::thumbs:

Edited by Deker

Thanks all for your comments.

To answer your comments the rifle is about 25 yrs old so current thoughts are that i'm gonna stick with the .22 hornet as a calibre. So looks like a brand new cz comin home, shoot it with factory ammo for now then look at home-loading( will be back for more tips on that one I think?)

Once again thank you all.