to bag an eel......the zumerset way!

Guest dog on
yes london they bye smoked and jellied eels :thumbs: i think the orientals bye em too :thumbs:

chinese will be your main market .i sold all mine to a place in holand a lorry came and picked up once a week or once a fortnight but i was using fyke nets big time and geting betwen 300 and 600 kilo a week

done a bit of that my self . same a lorry came from holand to pick up every week . then started fishing up in london

and sold to a chinese more money. used to fish 300 fyke nets. where did you fish

river wye had a few months on king sedg drain ass well plus traveld country doing still waters andcanals as well done it for 8 years spent 4 of years on wye some fishing legal sum not .did you deal with colemans fishangle holland

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest dog on
Interseting thread Fish, a very efficient harvesting method in a survival situation.

Heres a pic of an eel my cousin and I had as lads, cut him into steaks, boiled the oil out and then fried, lovely.

Is this a method you guys use for cooking?

very nice size eel

the sack method has worked fine for me on the kings sedge-moor drain,as for cooking them ive always been keen in them just staked and fried,i like to fry them with a bit of home cured bacon and served with toast and a mug of tea!

Guest dog on
the sack method has worked fine for me on the kings sedge-moor drain,as for cooking them ive always been keen in them just staked and fried,i like to fry them with a bit of home cured bacon and served with toast and a mug of tea!
fishfish to be honest i only tried sack method a few times but with a pipe funel entrence i think if you put a empty sack in the king sed i t would catch eels because there is a lot of eels in there and they would use it for cover Edited by dog on
Guest dog on

HOW I DO CLOTTING.first you need a good supply of lob worms go at night on some short grass with a torch and colect by hand or pour soapy water on grass and wait until worms come to top then put them strait in clean water to wash the soapy water of them or they wont be any good to use .put worms in news paper to keep them in good order .and put in a cool place .until needed.you will need a baiting needle and some dental floss \not mint flavor /just plain floss thred about 8 inches through eye of bait needle and pull of about 10 feet of floss.take a worm and push needle through worm lenthways .to make it easer to do first throw worm on hard surface to stun it it will go solid dont throw it to hard.thread more worms on untill floss is full .every body i new who went clotting used wool to thread worms on to .i tryed floss and the results were 10 times better caught more eels.next tie the to ends of floss together to make a loop of worms .keep doubling the string of worms over until it becomes 1foot long.then using a strong piece of cord tie in middle so you have a clot of worms about 6 inches long . \\ willrennyferrete and little butch when you have read this and understand it let me know and i will continue with the rest//

Guest dog on
HOW I DO CLOTTING.first you need a good supply of lob worms go at night on some short grass with a torch and colect by hand or pour soapy water on grass and wait until worms come to top then put them strait in clean water to wash the soapy water of them or they wont be any good to use .put worms in news paper to keep them in good order .and put in a cool place .until needed.you will need a baiting needle and some dental floss \not mint flavor /just plain floss thred about 8 inches through eye of bait needle and pull of about 10 feet of floss.take a worm and push needle through worm lenthways .to make it easer to do first throw worm on hard surface to stun it it will go solid dont throw it to hard.thread more worms on untill floss is full .every body i new who went clotting used wool to thread worms on to .i tryed floss and the results were 10 times better caught more eels.next tie the to ends of floss together to make a loop of worms .keep doubling the string of worms over until it becomes 1foot long.then using a strong piece of cord tie in middle so you have a clot of worms about 6 inches long . \\ willrennyferrete and little butch when you have read this and understand it let me know and i will continue with the rest//
you will nead a pole about 7 foot long the one i use is a 2 piece telescopic landing net handle tie a piece of verry strong cord to top of pole .i put a small bolt in top of pole to tie cord to .the cord needs to be shorter than pole by about 1 foot .put a round fishing weight about 2 ounces on cord and atatch a large sea snap link or swivel on end of cord to tie clot of worms to this is now your rod to fish with also get a course fishing licence to keep it all legal .now you need some type of net to land eels in you can use a verry large landing net or get a small keep net .and atatch a large sheet of fine net to it bye sewing this large piece of net half way around mouth of keep net .so you can peg this large piece of netting on the bank to land eels on and they let go and slide down into keep net .the eels are caught by them biting on the clot of worms .eels teeth face backwards so they cant let go that easy all you nead to do is when you feel eels pulling simply lift pole and swing eels over netting.and shake them off .this lifting of pole is the one thing you will learn with practis it is not like striking with a rod it is a very steady lift and let it swing across netting .let me know you under stand this and i will tell when and where to fish
Guest dog on
ooh so you get loads of them? like 10 rings of worms?
no just make 2 every time you go because some time you will get one stuck or there are a lot of eels and you wish you had a nother clot to carry on fishing each clot of worms contain about 30 worms also take spare string and weight Edited by dog on
Guest dog on
you will nead a pole about 7 foot long the one i use is a 2 piece telescopic landing net handle tie a piece of verry strong cord to top of pole .i put a small bolt in top of pole to tie cord to .the cord needs to be shorter than pole by about 1 foot .put a round fishing weight about 2 ounces on cord and atatch a large sea snap link or swivel on end of cord to tie clot of worms to this is now your rod to fish with also get a course fishing licence to keep it all legal .now you need some type of net to land eels in you can use a verry large landing net or get a small keep net .and atatch a large sheet of fine net to it bye sewing this large piece of net half way around mouth of keep net .so you can peg this large piece of netting on the bank to land eels on and they let go and slide down into keep net .the eels are caught by them biting on the clot of worms .eels teeth face backwards so they cant let go that easy all you nead to do is when you feel eels pulling simply lift pole and swing eels over netting.and shake them off .this lifting of pole is the one thing you will learn with practis it is not like striking with a rod it is a very steady lift and let it swing across netting .let me know you under stand this and i will tell when and where to fish

dont bother until end of may .if river find a place where it is shallow 1 foot to 4 foot deap so bait is allways on the bottom same on ponds try and find spot where it is flowing it will take scent down streem to eels fish tight in the side .get to fishing spot 1 hour befor dark eels feed best just on dark and about 1 hour into dark and again just befor light so you only need to go at these times not all night .not to good on full moon but still catch .if it rains and the river starts to go muddy you will have some of your best catches so you will need more clots then .eels wiil continue to feed untill weather starts to get to cold usualy end september mid october .if eels are not feeding when you get there only stay till dark dont go looking because most of eels would have feed already once you have fished a spot dont bother going there again for a few months because new eels will have to occupy it . try to start low down river .then when you go again go about half a mile above last spot that way you will keep on catching .let me know you under stand this and i will tell where to sell and how to keep eels alive .///when you have used a clot for fishing and it is still ok to use again put it in a bag and freeze it then when worms are hard to get you can use the frozen ones 1 more time after that they are all washed out and no good.and allways keep the cord tight when you are fishing that way you will tell when eels are stuck on the clot
Guest dog on
Fasinating, but I may have missed something, how thick are the worms, wouldn't the break when lifting the eel out of the water or does the eel have his teeth into the string as well?

Cheers

the eels teeth get stuck in the dental floss the worms do gradualy fall apart but you can get some good catches average catch for me 7 to 20 kilo best ever this method on muddy river 62 kilo the worms i use are lob worms about as big and thick a pencil Edited by dog on
Guest Leveller

It's big business down here and before licenses were issued every dole dodger in the area was out elvering you'd see them all just off the M5 with nets etc on the roof's of their XR3i's but these days I think they need to have some licence or permit to sell the eels on a big scale.

The best way to catch conger eels is glatting :notworthy::notworthy: