is it worth joining BASC

have just been editing Grims shooting persmission letter and noticed i had to omit the part that mentions that "i am a full member of the BASC". i was just wondering if most people on this board are members and if so is it worth it and what do you get out of it (except a car sticker). i also wanted to know if it makes it easier to attain shooting permission aswell.

cheers ben

As has been said above; if its just a case of needing insurance (and anyone shooting should have it), then there are other orgs that are cheaper; SACS as mentioned above and Countryside Alliance, I think the CA are doing 18 months for the price of 12 at the moment.

The big benefit BASC have is that they have an expert department for all areas of shooting, from gamekeeping, firearms to gundogs; so any advise you need there is always someone on the other end of the phone that can help you. They have had a lot of bad press for not helping people, but in these cases I understand the people in question were not members. If you are a member they have a wealth of knowlege you can tap into; they are particularly good when it comes to trouble with certificate granting and remewals etc....

As far it being a help to you getting permission, directly, no it isn't a benefit. That said, most people you are likely to be asking will have heard of BASC, that might not be the case with other orgs; not that their insurance policy is any lesser.

BASC are seen by many as the defacto "governing/professional body" for shooting (not that they are) and as such their name possibly carries more clout. Their regional officer in your area may be one contact who could help you secure permission.

In essance its a decision for you to make based on what you want from membership; if its just insurance, you may well be better off looking eleswhere; if you are going to use their resources then join.

Take a look at the organisations web sites, BASC, SACS and the Countryside Alliance all have one.

As has been said above; if its just a case of needing insurance (and anyone shooting should have it), then there are other orgs that are cheaper; SACS as mentioned above and Countryside Alliance, I think the CA are doing 18 months for the price of 12 at the moment.

The big benefit BASC have is that they have an expert department for all areas of shooting, from gamekeeping, firearms to gundogs; so any advise you need there is always someone on the other end of the phone that can help you. They have had a lot of bad press for not helping people, but in these cases I understand the people in question were not members. If you are a member they have a wealth of knowlege you can tap into; they are particularly good when it comes to trouble with certificate granting and remewals etc....

As far it being a help to you getting permission, directly, no it isn't a benefit. That said, most people you are likely to be asking will have heard of BASC, that might not be the case with other orgs; not that their insurance policy is any lesser.

BASC are seen by many as the defacto "governing/professional body" for shooting (not that they are) and as such their name possibly carries more clout. Their regional officer in your area may be one contact who could help you secure permission.

In essance its a decision for you to make based on what you want from membership; if its just insurance, you may well be better off looking eleswhere; if you are going to use their resources then join.

Take a look at the organisations web sites, BASC, SACS and the Countryside Alliance all have one.

thanks for the advice will probably join SACS as it is simply for the insurence. the huntinglife forum is my fountain of knowledge :toast: