racingwhippet x

Hi all..

I am a Newbie to this sight, but not to running dogs, My Dad used to own and race bwra non ped whippets in the 70's these were fantastic little speed merchants + excellent workers on rat rabbit hare and fox. I have had a few lurchers all been pretty good dogs my most recent is a 3/4 saluki x ghd she is 6 now, past her prime but when she was younger she was a good all round dog taking rat rabbit hare and fox. last year i decided to breed her to a whippet and a friend who owns 2 sooty sam whippets said to me if you put your bitch to glen mikes stud dog i will have a pup off you. but the memorys of the fire of the racing whippets my dad used to keep came flooding back so in the end i put her to a racing champion whippet, let me state i have nothing against ss whippets just thought i would try something different. after talking to some knowledgeable racing whippet owners they informed me how the racing whippet developed by crossing - K.C whippets with greyhounds then a 3/4 whippet cross a 1/4 bull terrier was crossed with the whippets greyhound. Later some of these high breads were mated to 1/4 working fox terrier cross 3/4 whippets. Thus evolved the modern day racing whippet. I kept a bitch back from my saluki ghd and called her Ellie, she is progressing as time goes and is currently 7 months old, showing loads of prey drive, caught her first rabbit 2 weeks ago and have been ferreting 3 times but acts like she has been doing it years. My question is, do you guys think i made the right choice. I like the sooty sam whippets dont get me wrong my mate has 2 but they dont seem that quick. I know that speed isn't everything but aren't whippets supposed to be fast sprinting machines. Ellie at the moment is 28 pounds and 19 inches tts. Comments welcome. :bye:

Crossing to a racing whippet is good,If your bitch has some substance.

Sooty Sam whippets are just plodders when compared to race whippets.

BWRA whippets are a hell of alot quicker than K.C reg whippets like Day/Night.Yes think you have done the right thing,Should have plenty of fire from the whippet and a good engine from Saluki.

Guest greengrass123

BWRA whippets are a hell of alot quicker than K.C reg whippets like Day/Night.Yes think you have done the right thing,Should have plenty of fire from the whippet and a good engine from Saluki.

Barnsley ben i own one of these bwra whippet cross saluki 21inch 30lbs 18 months old and its proving to be the best ferreting rabbiting dog ive ever owned .You made the right choice good luck mate.

cheers, igo to blidworth wrc a lad there has ss whippets and he races, works them very pro ped but has just mated his bitch to rch vivs quest should be good pups best of both worlds maybe?

Barnsley ben i own one of these bwra whippet cross saluki 21inch 30lbs 18 months old and its proving to be the best ferreting rabbiting dog ive ever owned .You made the right choice good luck mate.

sounds nice a rare cross that any pics ,?one of the lads at track put his dog to a match bitch a few years back offspring done well£££££ the owner never did let on there was whippet in :whistling:

I have recently brought a Non-ped Whippet from the "Spirit of the Stag" camp. She is 11 weeks old and she sits, stays, understands box, she retreves to hand, is toilet trained indoors, even though she lives outside, recall is great and she is as game as(not hard as) my Bull/Greyhound pup at the moment who is 17 weeks old. So dumb I think not but as for stamina she will probably not be great but I dont think she will need to run that far to catch her prey and given enough breather inbetween runs I'll think she will be OK.

All in all I think a good cross for your Saluki x, good luck.

Hi all..

I am a Newbie to this sight, but not to running dogs, My Dad used to own and race bwra non ped whippets in the 70's these were fantastic little speed merchants + excellent workers on rat rabbit hare and fox. I have had a few lurchers all been pretty good dogs my most recent is a 3/4 saluki x ghd she is 6 now, past her prime but when she was younger she was a good all round dog taking rat rabbit hare and fox. last year i decided to breed her to a whippet and a friend who owns 2 sooty sam whippets said to me if you put your bitch to glen mikes stud dog i will have a pup off you. but the memorys of the fire of the racing whippets my dad used to keep came flooding back so in the end i put her to a racing champion whippet, let me state i have nothing against ss whippets just thought i would try something different. after talking to some knowledgeable racing whippet owners they informed me how the racing whippet developed by crossing - K.C whippets with greyhounds then a 3/4 whippet cross a 1/4 bull terrier was crossed with the whippets greyhound. Later some of these high breads were mated to 1/4 working fox terrier cross 3/4 whippets. Thus evolved the modern day racing whippet. I kept a bitch back from my saluki ghd and called her Ellie, she is progressing as time goes and is currently 7 months old, showing loads of prey drive, caught her first rabbit 2 weeks ago and have been ferreting 3 times but acts like she has been doing it years. My question is, do you guys think i made the right choice. I like the sooty sam whippets dont get me wrong my mate has 2 but they dont seem that quick. I know that speed isn't everything but aren't whippets supposed to be fast sprinting machines. Ellie at the moment is 28 pounds and 19 inches tts. Comments welcome. :bye:

hi mate what is the sire you used from the BWRA please
Hi all..

Interesting post. I also raced wippets in the 70's, in fact when I was 18, I was treasurer of the club (long since gone).

A friend of mine had a record breaking whippet dog, which had the old death or glory temperament. He bred it with various lurchers and most of the progeny were good hunting dogs, he kept a bitch from one. This bitch became almost a legend of it's time, regularly catching three out of three hares, and being only 20" and 27lb. He was offered a lot of money for the bitch and eventually sold it, but that's another story.

I'm sure there are lots of theories on how the racing whippet was developed. Personally I believe that there was racing type whippets around when the kennel club was formed and they just split into two branches, and I've no doubt various terrier breeds were added from time to time to improve the stock.

Did you know that origionally, before proper racing, whippets were entered in snap dog competitions? This was a form of rabbit coursing. Rabbits were caught and kept in big numbers in sheds or barns where the meeting was held. They were then released one at a time onto the coursing field, two dogs were slipped, giving about 50yds law, and the first dog to mouth the rabbit won. Usually it was the best of 21 courses, yes 21, that won the competition, and there was various forms of handycapping. These dogs must have been fast and tough, with plenty of stamina.

In recent years I've done a lot of coursing and lamping and personally I wouldn't use whippet bred lurchers now. Reason? Because having used them years ago, I'd rather go forwards than backwards. Although there's no doubt, that there is some really good whippet lurchers and pure whippets about, when you look at the big picture, there are some drawbacks. The biggest one is injury, the dogs of years ago were always being rested for one reason or another, usually knocked up toes or barbed wire rips.

A friend of mine recently had 1st cross saluki whippet, a good dog, no doubt. It regularly did three out of three, and even 8 hares one day, but it was injury prone just like the old stuff, and at five years ripped a muscle in it's back leg and was never right again. In contrast it's half sister bred from the greyhound, went on to nearly eight, without much bother.

Still, a good dog is a good dog, and I do think the saluki blood counteracts some of drawbacks of the whippet. :thumbs:

Hi all..

the sire to my pup is outbound mate, thanks for all the replies ,she is 7mths now time will tell good or bad i will keep you allposted :thumbs:

got a racing whippet or shpuld i say one 1/3 whippet the rEst grey, d slieghts boy blue to A DISTANCS REYHOUND SHE HAS CAUGHT ROE RABbIT HARES AND TWO FOXES, FERRETS AND WILL BE A GOOD BROOD BITCH SHE IS 23 TO SHOULDER NO BROKEN TOES AND I WORK HER PRETY HARD , ONLY THING SHE IS NO WERE AS STURDY AND NOT MUCH FASTER THAN MY LURCHERS, BuT ON SOFT GROUND SHE MAKES THE HARE DANCE AND HAS A GOOD MOUTH IM LOOKING FOR ANOTHER GREw TO PUT OVER HER 35 TO 45 POUND TYPE WHO IS PRETTY HARD , GOOD LITTLE DOGS BUT WELL NOT FOR DAILY HUNTING AT A HIGH RATE ALL THE BEST

Hi all..

the sire to my pup is outbound mate, thanks for all the replies ,she is 7mths now time will tell good or bad i will keep you allposted :thumbs:

thats one good stud dog lots of staimer good luck regs steveuk :thumbs::thumbs: