Best time to release poults this summer

Guest little_lloyd

Guest little_lloyd

Ok so i noticed these pages are getting a bit dull lately, :lazy: I thought i would liven things up in the joint. :boogy:

Reading in shooting times earlier this week, Six keepers give thier views on the best time to release Pheasant Poults during the summer. As the season has just left us ,, It leaves us time to think about getting our poults out and the best time to get them out. Our little bit of shooting land where a bit a fun for me and a few friends is prioritory, Late summer is the time i prefer, In no hassle to shoot a bundle straight away would rather wait into middle of november before any birds get shot . As i have saod fun is my main concern it is a bit of fun not a big comercail blast out.

Views and opionions please!!!

I get my pheasant poults in late july followed a couple of weeks later by the red-legs, which I start releasing straight away. I like to get the pheasants first because you can easily clean up any vermin that comes into the pheasant pens. Its a lot easier to deal with then. We start shooting the partridge in late september, and generally start to mix in a couple of pheasant drives by about early October. Last season our pheasants didnt mature as quickly, probably down to the crappy wet weather that we had.

The powers that be on our shoot have decided to get the poults in at the end of June this year, two weeks earlier than last season. Maybe we were lucky with the weather as we lost very few and they were much better birds. Interesting to see what happens.

Last year they specifically asked for English pheasants - I never knew they come with blue backs too! :hmm:

I get mine in the first 2 weeks of june, getting them to about 22 weeks old before we start shooting in early october.. i get the game farmers first batch out, these tend to be a bit bigger and stronger than birds they put out in july and early august... yes they tend to get a bit of extra rain compared to later birds, but if your pens have been situated well, along with being built properly ie plenty of shelters, and your able to keep a eye on them then they should be ok...

But in general if syndicates ask a simlar question then i tend to say " find out what date you want to start shooting , how old your poults will be when they come home..then work back from 20 weeks

ie

first day shooting 1st nov

birds 8 weeks old when arrive

birds arrive 1st august

so the birds are 8 weeks when they arrive

there with you 12 weeks before you shoots start, making the birds 20 weeks...

JUST MY OPINION ;)

Good advice alimac.My advice is to get your orders in to the game farm early ,probably too late now for this season around us .Better to leave birds at the gamefarm in bad weather too even if you do have to pay an overstay charge per bird .One thing i will add is that with penned partridges in bad weather it is better to get them out of the pen than hang on to them in filthy wet conditions just because they are small .Good luck with the coming season to you all .