Help with mole trapping please.

First post, so go easy on me.

I have a problem with moles, I have been using scissor traps for the last 3 months without success, only false triggers. The traps are from Scats, and I decided today to buy 2 x tunnel traps. While these traps are a small stream, I've relaid the scissor traps. I've notice a lot of small holes (squash ball size) in a different part of the garden without soil mounds around them, I'm I right in thinking the mole/s are making these too? Anyway, this is soul destroying now, and I'm getting brassed off, I really would like to catch the little beggar myself (it's personal :boxing: ) . Can anyone offer further advise, or know where I can get some training, or worst case, can you recommend anyone in my area to trap the little :censored: ? I live just outside Newbury.

Thanks in advance.

I have a problem with moles, I have been using scissor traps for the last 3 months without success, only false triggers. The traps are from Scats, and I decided today to buy 2 x tunnel traps. While these traps are a small stream, I've relaid the scissor traps. I've notice a lot of small holes (squash ball size) in a different part of the garden without soil mounds around them, I'm I right in thinking the mole/s are making these too? Anyway, this is soul destroying now, and I'm getting brassed off, I really would like to catch the little beggar myself (it's personal :boxing: ) . Can anyone offer further advise, or know where I can get some training, or worst case, can you recommend anyone in my area to trap the little :censored: ? I live just outside Newbury.

Thanks in advance.

If you are finding small smooth-edged holes....it could be the work of a bank vole and not a mole. These often take over old mole runs and can easily be confused with mole activity. This may explain why the traps are not catching. Go to the following sites who will advise on training. www.npta.org.uk or www.bpca.org.uk or www.killgerm.com

Rolfe.

Thanks in advance.

If you are finding small smooth-edged holes....it could be the work of a bank vole and not a mole. These often take over old mole runs and can easily be confused with mole activity. This may explain why the traps are not catching. Go to the following sites who will advise on training. www.npta.org.uk or www.bpca.org.uk or www.killgerm.com

Rolfe.

Thanks for your reply Rolfe. I'll take a look at all those sites.

Kind regards

Mark

Thanks in advance.

my advice, if its personnal, is a torch, a shotgun and swivel chair :thumbs:

Thanks in advance.

my advice, if its personnal, is a torch, a shotgun and swivel chair :thumbs:

Stubby, I like your thinking :victory:

Can I borrow your gun? :good::whistling:

Hello Donky7,

You are right I've had a look at the garden and you can see noticeable discolouration of the grass where a possible run is present. Moreover, I do have a stream at the bottom of the garden, which is at the opposite end of where most of the holes without soil hills are. Here are some pic's, thank you to all who have replied, or sent a message, any further advice will be greatly received.

Mark

post-12106-1203871697.jpg

post-12106-1203871716.jpg

post-12106-1203871812.jpg

post-12106-1203871895.jpg

post-12106-1203871942.jpg

Hey up mate. :) Cant really show you how to set a trap without being there but my main tips woul be cut ur hole wider at the top than the bottom,ie. dont make the bottom of the run any wider than it already is. Choose a striaght section of run. Wedge the trap in tight, if the mole feels any movement in it it will fill it full of soil. If yoy havnt got the :censored: in six weeks im going down south for a wedding and will try to call in and show u how i set a trap.

Cheers chaps! Thanks bullfighter, I might take you up on that!! :thumbs:

I've re-set the traps today, and checked them 3 times already :wallbash:

First time I've used the tunnel ones, we'll see tomorrow morning, I'll up date you all then.

I think I've got a party mole, the majority of mole hills are created on Saturday nights :D:boogie::drink:

Yours sincerely

Mole hater

Okay, just been to check the traps and gutted is the word. Two undisturbed, and the third was total filled in with a new mole hill at the side of it! Should I bury the traps under ground for a week, or put them back in the stream to try and remove any human smell?

Okay, just been to check the traps and gutted is the word. Two undisturbed, and the third was total filled in with a new mole hill at the side of it! Should I bury the traps under ground for a week, or put them back in the stream to try and remove any human smell?

The best way to remove scent is to boil your traps.

It is more likely that the mole found an obstruction of some sort in the run, either a stone, or part of the trap. When you set yer traps, make sure they line up with the run properly; the first thing Mr Mole should feel is the trigger. The other common mistake is to push soil and stones up or down the tunnel when you open it up to set yer trap.

• 1 year later...

Hello All, I've been away for a little while and so has the mole (mainly in next door's garden) but it's back creating havoc and the biggest hills ever. I put my lack of success down to the way I'm setting my traps together with the quality of trap. The runs are fairly close to the surface and I can locate them by tracing them back from the mole hill.

I'd still like to catch the little barstool myself and feel I need to start again by purchasing quality Traps (instead of the poor ones bought from scats) and I also need to buy a book and fully understand how to lay a trap correctly. Could anyone recommend a good book and quality traps? I searched through previous posts and see mixed responses regarding Flatpack.

Cheers, Mark

PS located near Newbury should any local suppliers be recommended.

Howdy

Make sure that the trap cannot rock from side to side or backwards and forwards in the hole you have excavated by packing it at the sides with a sod of earth from the earth you cut out to find the run also make sure there is no grass in the bottom of the run and clear the run each side with a spoon or run clearing tool. Make sure the kill loops are pushed into the soil slightly so the mole does not feel them as he enters the trap also make sure the triggers are pointing towards the kill loop and not straight down you can achieve this by setting the trap and then bending the triggers forwards this makes the trap operate more quickly and ensure a kill around the thorax of the mole thus killing it pretty much instantly.

Any other pointers you need just drop me a line

Remember quality not quantity if its set right it will catch.

All the best

Phil

www.molebegone.info