can someone tell me what's wrong with my patterdale bitch.the last week she has got a thinning of her coat on both side's of her rib cage and small dry scab's were the coat is thinning.

any idea's please.

all the best

king

i was hoping for someone to say what they think it was as my dogs have gone through itchy scabby thing it just went the vets hadnt a clue

It could be ringworm wich is a bacterial infection noted by the raised red circular scabbing and hair loss. It is very contagious. You can use a very strong athletes foot/ jock itch medication for it. Also an antimicrobial shampoo can keep it from spreading. Watch out for circular spots on yourself too. If you even think the dog or you have a spot treat immediately. Treat for about a month. Even when spots disappear treat for a while or it will come back.

I don't know if you have Ivermectin for horses available in paste form but a spot of that orally or applied directly to the spot will take care of it. DO NOT use on collie breeds as it can be fatal for some reason :headshot:: . Hope this helps.

I had to deal with it on a pup twice because of stray cats who can be silent carriers. The bacteria lives in the hair follicles. Guy at the vet supply house gave me the bit about the Ivermectin. It worked on my fell like a charm.

:drink:

There is another diagnoses to this .You need to take the scab off to find out but if theres a hard ,yellow lump underneath ,then its the symptoms of an allergy to something .Maybe food related ,maybe bedding related .The vet will need to take a scrape to find this out .IF that is the vet is a compitant one .

:hmm: I have Springer that I "inherited" so to speak who has always had this patch on his right front leg where a sore developed with fur loss and he just kept at it over the nine years that I have known him, he is now twelve years old. It is worse at some times of the year than others. Vets have just drawn a blank :wallbash: . This winter has been the worse in all of his twelve years, with me drawing a temporary halt to his continual nibbling of the sore by applying Tea Tree Oil to his leg.

Now I have to take into account his age etc and the fact that he absolutely no grey mater at all, in his early years there was no input and it is only this year 2008 that it is safe to take him into the fields off lead with a Rottie and Lurcher to correct his ways, which in the past resulted in him "running" for anything up to four hours with a "feck you, I'm off" attitude. Has he picked something up/been infected/or is he just a "God I'm bored with this so I think I'll eat one of my legs" type Spaniels (this is what I think).

What do you reckon? :thumbs:

:hmm: I have Springer that I "inherited" so to speak who has always had this patch on his right front leg where a sore developed with fur loss and he just kept at it over the nine years that I have known him, he is now twelve years old. It is worse at some times of the year than others. Vets have just drawn a blank :wallbash: . This winter has been the worse in all of his twelve years, with me drawing a temporary halt to his continual nibbling of the sore by applying Tea Tree Oil to his leg.

Now I have to take into account his age etc and the fact that he absolutely no grey mater at all, in his early years there was no input and it is only this year 2008 that it is safe to take him into the fields off lead with a Rottie and Lurcher to correct his ways, which in the past resulted in him "running" for anything up to four hours with a "feck you, I'm off" attitude. Has he picked something up/been infected/or is he just a "God I'm bored with this so I think I'll eat one of my legs" type Spaniels (this is what I think).

yes al he sound's like he could be 1 of those dog's that just wants to eat his own leg :boogie:

There is another diagnoses to this .You need to take the scab off to find out but if theres a hard ,yellow lump underneath ,then its the symptoms of an allergy to something .Maybe food related ,maybe bedding related .The vet will need to take a scrape to find this out .IF that is the vet is a compitant one .

when you take the thin scab of foxdropper there is no hard lump it's just the opposite a small crater were the scab was sitting i hace changed her diet lately to a more meat than biscuit diet maybe the diet im giving her is a little bit to rich for her

To be honest sounding by the symptons and age of condition it sound like a birth defect .that the epidermis layer is at a fault.It sounds more like a bubble underneath the top layer of skin.I presume the vets have removed a sample of the effected tissue and ruled out all bacterial and parasetic infections?

JMO i would not be treating it with any thing else but saline solution .

Regards Ess

can someone tell me what's wrong with my patterdale bitch.the last week she has got a thinning of her coat on both side's of her rib cage and small dry scab's were the coat is thinning.

any idea's please.

all the best

king

google camorse ointment

has she been in season recently, meg gets a bit thin in coat just after being in season.

Try a shampoo called selsun it is for chronic scalp conditions and clears up scabs and flaky coats, or/and treat with advocate available from your vet it sorts out mange, fleas,ticks, and various worms, can be use to treat problems and can also be used every three months to prevent them happening.

had similar sounding thing on a bitch i had few years ago,turned out to be a form of mange,just went to chemist and got a bottle of BENZYL BENZOATE.apply before taking for walk etc so it has time to dry do it for week,twice a day worked for our bitch and only cost me £4.50

Edited by ghengis

KING WHEN I CHANGE THE GRUB COME THE HUNTING SEASON MY DOGS GET THIS WHEN THE PROTIENS UPPED,GET SUBLIME SULPHUR FROM THE CHEMIST,NOT THE PILLS THE YELLOW POWDER ITS NOT WATER SOLUBLE SO MIX IT WITH COOKING OIL AND PUT A HALF TEA SPOON IN THE GRUB AND RUB SOME INTO THE SCAB,CLEAR IN NO TIME.THE STUFF IS VERY CHEAP LIKE A BUCKET FOR A 5ER.MAKE IT INTO A CUSTARD LIKE CONSISTINCY

hi all,

my pat bicth got the same thing.vet took sample and £120 (dick turpin) results turned up an allergy.

could be 1 of a hundred things he said.that was when she was younger she wasnt in pain she never scracthed them.

whats a few scabs to a head full of scars.get some malesb shampoo clears most things up.