Applying for FAC

I soon want to be applying for my FAC.

I have read into it, and think i have a good chance of getting it, i just wanted some experienced knowledge to help me out...and you guys have that!

I have only just turned 18, have held a Shotgun ticket for 4 years.

I am wanting to apply for a FAC as i do a fair amount of rabbit control on a friends "salad" farm. I know i will get written permission to shoot there, and also, whe the FAO speaks to the land owner, a good reference as he comes out with me most nights i shoot.

I am mainly asking what rifle i would be best applying for for the job? The land is very flat, with minimal backstops from one boundry to another. The only good thing is its a good 400 acres from boundary to boundary. It has one public footpath on the boundary. I have shot there for years as the farmer is very good friends with my father.

As references i have several suitable ones. One of which is a farmer with 40 years experience with firearms, and also has a police granted hand gun for the dispatch of deer involved in traffic accidents.

I would like to apply to have my air rifle taken up to FAC power, but am worried that if i apply for that at the same time as say a .22LR i wont be granted the .22LR because they will say the air rifle at FAC power will be suitable for the job.

Im not saying i purely want a .22LR or even .17HMR for the fire power and what have you, but i will also be applying to shoot at my brother-in-laws land as he keeps sheep and during lambing foxes are a trouble and a shotgun is not that suitable for shooting around the sheep as say a rifle would be.

So what is the best rifle to apply for? I will be ringing the the FAO who knows my family well, to talk it through with him before i apply, but i just wanted some advice...

Cheers

.Joe

Edited by .Joe

Hello matey, there was a thread similar to this a while back have a look through the pages of the forum. If i where you try to have the .22lr and the .17hmr put on your ticket aswell. Saves spending another £26 to have it varied in the future. I would say you would have more chance of being granted the fac air rifle and the .17hmr, than the .22lr as the hmr is very unlikely to richochet. Hope this helps. Cheers

Hi also dont forget to ask for moderators on each rifle on your first aplication

even the fac air rifle will need a slot of its own for the moderator even if it comes as standard

i had this on my fac Rapid 7 i had to loose one of my slots for .22 rimfire or pay for a variation

so make sure you mention the moderators for each rifle when you talk to your FAO

arcpest

Hi also dont forget to ask for moderators on each rifle on your first aplication

even the fac air rifle will need a slot of its own for the moderator even if it comes as standard

i had this on my fac Rapid 7 i had to loose one of my slots for .22 rimfire or pay for a variation

so make sure you mention the moderators for each rifle when you talk to your FAO

arcpest

Apply for .22LR and 17 HMR (or 22 WMR, esp if you might be after foxes in the future). You could try .22 Hornet, they are meant to grant for rabbits and will mean if and when you want a bigger calibre you can say you have been shooting centrefire for ages ;)

Don't see the need or point for air rifle in your situation, 22LR gets the job done better and is much cheaper and more convenient. If I had to pick I would err with 22LR and 22 Hornet if there is the slightest chance of foxes, and they are much better at longer ranges in any kind of wind.

400 acres, i can't see too much of a problem. I shoot 22-250 on 30-odd acres of flat land with bugger all backstop, it just means you need to get good standing!