223 Varmint rifles

I owned a Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless in .223 before my current Remington. Nightmare of a rifle, it only marginally liked one type of ammo out of around 15-20 types I tried through it and no shooter, including myself, could get it to group reliably. It'd do around an inch at 100 yards on average with the type it liked, then anything out to 3 1/2 inch groups with other types. I blame the barrel on that particular rifle.

Ooooh, that's pretty horrible. The odd bad report with Tikka makes me think of CZ, because apart from the trigger, I never hear "i have/had a CZ and it didn't group" - they are always accurate rifles. Just with a somewhat suspect trigger...

You haven't looked at that DVD I lent you yet have you.....it shows Derek Edgar in a starring role (as a comedian) :whistling::thumbs:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I owned a Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless in .223 before my current Remington. Nightmare of a rifle, it only marginally liked one type of ammo out of around 15-20 types I tried through it and no shooter, including myself, could get it to group reliably. It'd do around an inch at 100 yards on average with the type it liked, then anything out to 3 1/2 inch groups with other types. I blame the barrel on that particular rifle.

Ooooh, that's pretty horrible. The odd bad report with Tikka makes me think of CZ, because apart from the trigger, I never hear "i have/had a CZ and it didn't group" - they are always accurate rifles. Just with a somewhat suspect trigger...

You haven't looked at that DVD I lent you yet have you.....it shows Derek Edgar in a starring role (as a comedian) :whistling::thumbs:

Funnily enough, I had a look this morning - it's the worst thing in the whole world, I had to give up in disgust :D

Funnily enough, I had a look this morning - it's the worst thing in the whole world, I had to give up in disgust :D

It is just so false, and staged and unnatural and neither of them can act... you have to laugh :clapper: ...so thats definately a CZ now you know the quality of the staff behind the brand in the UK :whistling::notworthy::thumbs: ??

On the Tikka, I take it it is a problem with all the rifles, I just bought a 243 and am having a huge grouping problem with all ammo except Normas which where okish. S+B 8x56, and a w/cat-8 mod. Zeroed on Sako 100grn @ Xmas, Took it up too zero again before outing morrow and the group is over 5" and4" to the right and below were it was last Took 40 rounds (the feckin cost) and adjusting too get it near, and then @ 100yds its a 3" grp. The scope was new but off me Jagdmatch sl and that is giving 1" grps. Sorry I did not mean too steal the thread guys.

On the Tikka, I take it it is a problem with all the rifles, I just bought a 243 and am having a huge grouping problem with all ammo except Normas which where okish. S+B 8x56, and a w/cat-8 mod. Zeroed on Sako 100grn @ Xmas, Took it up too zero again before outing morrow and the group is over 5" and4" to the right and below were it was last Took 40 rounds (the feckin cost) and adjusting too get it near, and then @ 100yds its a 3" grp. The scope was new but off me Jagdmatch sl and that is giving 1" grps. Sorry I did not mean too steal the thread guys.

As i said in my previous post my .243 would simply not shoot 100 gr ammo of any kind, chcek to make sure all mounts are tight, you say you've a mod on check this is tight after a few shots as some tend to loosen a little shifting POI considerably, also check to see barrel is free floating with the mod attached, if still grouping poor try a few different 95 gr ammo,

Some people don't like the fact that the t3 is made to a min price, but it still should preform, you just dont get all the little extras,

On the remington 700 front i've seen a few that would simply not group at all, and these where changed by the gundealer under warrenty,

If you still think it's not up to it's best get someone you know has an excellent shot and tell them to try,

If its your first centrefire rifle flinching may be a problem, on your part, So iwould suggest a dry fireing with a mate loading the rifle with a snap cap, or a live round, only your mate should know what is in the chamber, and pay close attension to you whilr you take your shot, if flinching is a problem then this excerise will help to solve the problem...........hope all this helps :thumbs:

Thanks for the feedback , guys I don't think its flinching as I've shot a 222 for a few years now and still do in 1" groups @ 100 yds, I'll take off the mod the morrow and try that, though what you said Baldie about the 1:10 twist, if so How do you have a min 100grn bullet then for deer as, thats my understanding of the law, I'm sorry but a little confused and no expert but if I go too purchase a 243 for deer, and have a 222, should I not expect the gunshop owner/salesstaff too make me aware of the limitations here or is it just me being slow.

mc the 100gr is only the recommended bullet weight, As baldie says the 1:10 twist will not stabalise the bullet but some .243'S do for a strange reason, and they have a 1:10 twist too :icon_eek: Swings and roundabouts mate, but the 95 grains will do their job try any of the folowing nosler 95gr or hornady 95grain sst, both excellent in the .243 and hard hitting as any 100 gr. :thumbs:

Thank you Snapshot I'll try and get some sourced ,I don't know how you 're finding it but round here good ammo is hard find, waited weeks before chrimbo then it was Eco or winchester the fed showed up in bits :no: But hey ho and off I go thanks again :thumbs:

The tikka 243 is a 1 in 10 twist, mcberran, it shouldn,t stabilise 100 grain bullets, the twist is too slow. Try it with a lighter bullet. Firstly though, take the moderator off, and try it.

Baldie,I have a Rem 700 .243cal,I haven't had it long,and am unsure what the barrel twist is and what the best ammo might be.I have been using remington 100grn. do you know what the twist is,and,what might suit it weight wise. :hmm: ..................martin.