let downs

what has been your biggest let down or failure when it comes to dog training .... throughout the years there must have been something that you couldnt get your dog to do .... mine came recently as i had a bitch that i had great hopes for untill she took to much of a liking to sheep .... i tried EVERYTHING to break this dog to the habit months and months i tried to no avail in the end i had to concede that some times no matter what you try the thousands of years of instinct win over ....... so lets hear them !!!!!!!!

The bitch that i've just got rid of wouldn't retrieve, in the house or out on walks she'd retrieve balls, sticks, socks anything you name it she'd bring it back and place it in your hand or in your lap. She'd do 40 foot retieves outta the sea and she'd do all of this as long as you'd keep throwing things. Perfect i thought, i've got this whole retrieving thing pegged, took her out and it was all forgotten, she'd run around with it in her mouth, kill it and leave it, i tried everything imagineable with this bitch and nothing worked, so now she lives a life on me sisters sofa, lazy twat. The dog i got soon after getting her was trained in the exact same way and is totally different, he aint interested in balls and sticks and silly games and just wants the real thing, heaint so keen on the water retrieves but will do it with birds, but everything else is retrieved live back to hand. ... :search:

had plenty of dogs that turned to crap after starting out great, dogs that wouldn't look at sheep til 5 yrs down the track decide to chase them, dogs that just go into retirement at two years :11: all part of hunting i guess :11:

Clough, one of my bedlingtons I had, worked hard until he was over 2 year old then decided to dig at the entrance to holes, Keen enough, seemed all wound up but wouldn't go in past 2' without digging. It was like all the holes were to small for him to get in, When I tried other dogs (some bigger) they would push past where he had got to and right up to the quarry.. he tried my patience once to many times..

found him a new home :good:

Oh!!! and I got a 3yr old GSD that's now decided to shit in the kitchen in the middle of the night <_< .... has never done anything like this before but for the last couple of weeks I keep finding big messages on my floor when I get up in the morning...

she's been in the house since 8 weeks of age and after a week of training has been fine....

Is it because she's in pup ?? she's five weeks gone now, could this have something to do with her new found vice.... ?

she's also drinking excessive amounts of water and trashing my pedal bin each night..

sounds like all the classic signs of anxiety problems to me mate ... the fouling is a classic first sign ... the bin trashing is a follow on ... and the excesive thirst comes from all the pacing and worrying .... the bitch will know she is in pup by now and her body is going through major hormonal changes ... these changes manifest themselves in differnt ways ... my bet is she is confined to the kitchen at night yes? .... if so she is obviously feeling caged and and as she is in pup is wanting the freedom to settle where she wants ... if you gave her the run of downstairs then my bet would be that this would stop .... the danger with an anxiouse bitch in pup is that she could abort the litter ...................

sounds like all the classic signs of anxiety problems to me mate ... the fouling is a classic first sign ... the bin trashing is a follow on ... and the excesive thirst comes from all the pacing and worrying .... the bitch will know she is in pup by now and her body is going through major hormonal changes ... these changes manifest themselves in differnt ways ... my bet is she is confined to the kitchen at night yes? .... if so she is obviously feeling caged and and as she is in pup is wanting the freedom to settle where she wants ... if you gave her the run of downstairs then my bet would be that this would stop .... the danger with an anxiouse bitch in pup is that she could abort the litter ...................

She's always been in the kitchen in the night's, but I can see what you're saying Socks mate.

Thinkin about it she has started pacing round the house when I'm trying to watch corrie... she won't settle down, she keeps rattling the keys to go out the back, so the kids are up and down all night letting her out, my missus is a bit soft and she thinks it's to cold for her outside :icon_redface: so she let's her back in then it starts all over again.... :no:

she pist on the carpet earlier this week and she's never done that before either...

feck me if I tell my missus what is wrong with her, she'll be sleeping downstairs with her....

Cheers for that Socks, good to have some sound advice....

He's the daddy..... I had to look him in the face at eye level, when I was holding the bitchs' head to be mated....

Thats about as good lookin a dog as youll ever get pug face :11: :11: :11: :11:

Ive heard when you go to the garden to get away from your lass you sit and look at the dog, when you re enter the house you still think your in the garden :11: :11: :11: :11: :11: :11:

You failed that collie bitch of yours aswell, ive been informed she is up north and doing well on everything except sheep which she now dosent even look at :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :11: :11: :11: :11:

Guest HAWKEYE

spent hours training my 1st dog..he was quiyte obediant...Then my next one was a great jumper killer, hunter etc but will not retrieve at any cost ...and my current one will hunt up , instantly respond to commands, Kill retrieve anything but is a shy jumper...Each one is dfferent....Faults sometimes cant be ironed out.learn to live with them