Good evening, I am sure this question will have been asked on here before but I cannot find an example. I have a Canon EOS 400D digital SLR and would like to know what type of lens is most suitable for short range bird photography? My neighbours a few doors down have a "wildlife garden" and I am getting some great overspill at my simple little bird feeders. Most recently a stunning bull finch that I would like to get some decent pics of. I bought my SLR quite a few years ago to photograph my dogs and realise that it is probably ancient technology now and may require a search of the 2nd hand market for a lens to fit but what size? Distance between a few meters and about 10 max. Currently fitted with a EFS 18 - 55mm.

Image (2).jpeg

• Like 1

On 06/05/2024 at 18:32, eastcoast said:

Good evening, I am sure this question will have been asked on here before but I cannot find an example. I have a Canon EOS 400D digital SLR and would like to know what type of lens is most suitable for short range bird photography? My neighbours a few doors down have a "wildlife garden" and I am getting some great overspill at my simple little bird feeders. Most recently a stunning bull finch that I would like to get some decent pics of. I bought my SLR quite a few years ago to photograph my dogs and realise that it is probably ancient technology now and may require a search of the 2nd hand market for a lens to fit but what size? Distance between a few meters and about 10 max. Currently fitted with a EFS 18 - 55mm.

Image (2).jpeg

I'm no expert eastcoast but tasked a work colleague with looking into this today and something in the 70 - 200mm should suit. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
Just now, eastcoast said:

I'm no expert eastcoast but tasked a work colleague with looking into this today and something in the 70 - 200mm should suit. 

That's great eastcoast, if I get any decent pics of the bull finch will put them up 👍

• Haha 1
On 06/05/2024 at 18:32, eastcoast said:

Image (2).jpeg

Think the lens that would be good is 150-600mm zoom mate. Trouble is that about £700 I went into this sort of thing and realised I could not afford that with other hobbies I have so I went for a Panasonic Lumix FZ150. Its been superseded now. But you could get one of eBay for under £100. The FZ150 in my opinion takes really good picture of birds, has a optical lens of uptown 600mm. I know thats not what you really want but much cheaper.

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

<p>It is used and as such does have some scuffs and scrapes.</p><p>It is mechanically sound and is super quick to focus , zoom and snap shot.</p><p>Included...

Cheers Arry 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can pick up a 150-600 in the second hand shops for half there price ok for the garden or sitting about in a hide but to heavy to be carrying about all day 

The Nikon p900 range of bridge cameras are supposed to be good but ive never used on 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1