• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its a awkward one these days in this country due to the amount of non Indigenouse birds flying around lost by Falconers. this bird could even be a Coopers Hawk lost some time in the past or one of the Goshawk subspecies, its a hard one without a better shot.

Being a Falconer I probably shouldn't be saying this but its a travesty when these non Indeginouse and Hybrid birds get loose in this country and polute the wild stock! a vast Percentage of the female Hybrids are seriousley outcrossed and effectivly Mules but the Male's are Fertile although may have a low sperm count, either way something like a Male Pere x Saker can and has in the past paired with a pure Peregrine :blink:, there's also knowledge of Redtails pairing with common Buzzards and a Pair of Harris Breeding in this country, although by all accounts the Harris's was shot out...

there has been many cases now when wild Pere's have been DNA'd and have showed Barbary, Saker and small percentages of other species genes....

Guest Ditch_Shitter

post-3041-1202339638.jpg

:hmm:

Millet; I tend to agree, it's damn iffy for Gos'. In fact, dare I say ..... It doesn't quite sit right with me either? :icon_redface:

What do ye mean by " a Gos' of some kind." though? We only have the one that I'm aware of. Are ye suggesting a hybrid?

Things that wreck me head here:

1. It's Not clearly and typically Goshawk.

2. The ground seems all wrong for Gos'.

3. Gos' are said to be man wary.

BUT: Any and All the Falcons suggested here should show the eye moustache. Try as I might, I can't see the Alice Cooper on that bird. That alone simply precludes falcons - even if its posture suggests one.

Harrier? I tried to make it a Monte', but couldn't. Face is wrong for that too. Or the other two.

It has yellow feet. It appears to have more tail behind that wall. Hawks Do sit 'on their bums'. They don't Always stand tall, especially when at rest.

That bird, to me, appears to have a dark cap. Then it's lighter beneath that apparrent cap ..... Goshawk!

And round we go again and I'm just Not happy with any of it! :wallbash:

Where the hell's Lee Evans? He'd know at a glance!

i saw this today and not sure what it is,i think it might be a peraguin falcon .....am i right ?i t was very big, and after i took the snap another one appeared, they started dive bombing each other , not sure if it was a territorial fight or a mating ritual, the first time i have witnessed this behavior close up, made up for seeing no rabbits, and maybe explains why?

DSC00180.jpg

The bird is not a Gos.

Looks like a lost hybrid falcon that was being mobbed by a wild female Peregrine - probably.

Any jesses on it ?

i will do my best to see if i can get a better photo over the next few days, would be nice to get one clear enough to leave no doubt, but dont hold your breath as i think my unnoticed approach was more by fluke than judgement.

i will do my best to see if i can get a better photo over the next few days, would be nice to get one clear enough to leave no doubt, but dont hold your breath as i think my unnoticed approach was more by fluke than judgement.

Really hope you can get a better pic good luck. :clapper::victory:

Its definitley a hard one without a decent picture but I'll stick with it not being a Falcon. I just saved it to my pictures and magnified it but even then it pixilates pretty bad.

There's obviousley more tail behind that Rock? the other thing that does it for me is the short Primaries crossed just below its preen gland, then again some Falcons are like this :hmm:, one more thing that doesn't say Falcon to me is its Beak? its certainly not Falcon like but yet again this could be the picture.

Alot of leggy Hawks can be deceiving depending on their stance and posture. a bird leaning back on its tail is going to look shorter in the leg expecially when feathers are covering up the length of the leg in this posture. I'm certainly not trying to say Goshawk so don't get me wrong here but here is a few pictures of Gos's I have tried to find on the pc in different postures, the birds leaning up and standing up look more leggy that the one's sitting back, a relaxed Posture like the birds in the aviaries has pretty much covered the length of leg, one other pic is of a very pale mature Gos at the nest, she is very wispy white and a slate grey and not so heavy bared compared to some, this is a Hungarian Gos....

I'm now thinking its a "Accipitae Falco Baticus Raticus Wall doserus" in short " A Bat Rat Eating Wall Dossing FalcoHawk"

Jasper

post-251-1202377280_thumb.jpg

post-251-1202377354_thumb.jpg

post-251-1202377545_thumb.jpg

post-251-1202377806_thumb.jpg

post-251-1202377842_thumb.jpg

I would have to agree with coopers hawk ,a larger than sparrowhawk type accipter,probably female and on passage .Size of a coopers would be roughly peregrine height .Was there any screaming from either bird as this may help .Defo not a falcon .

i cannot recall any noise made foxdropper, i was watching the display above and it was quite a blustery wind, one would fly 20 foot + above the other then do a completely vertical dive bomb a bit of flapping at each other when contact was made, and pattern repeated four or five times untill they flew off in opposite directions, i went back to same area for a couple of hours today with adjusted settings on my camera to hopefully get a better pic, but no sightings, just found a couple of what might be kill/meal sites.

i cannot recall any noise made foxdropper, i was watching the display above and it was quite a blustery wind, one would fly 20 foot + above the other then do a completely vertical dive bomb a bit of flapping at each other when contact was made, and pattern repeated four or five times untill they flew off in opposite directions, i went back to same area for a couple of hours today with adjusted settings on my camera to hopefully get a better pic, but no sightings, just found a couple of what might be kill/meal sites.

I must admit that does sound Falcon like GHT and chucks my theory out of the window :hmm:. Mind you J Darcy could have a valid point when saying Harriers as these tend to do alot of this! just a stupid question mate but was they pretty high up when dive Bombing? alot fo accipiters will go up on a ringer normally with one climbing above the other and display from there....