i saw this today and not sure what it is,i think it might be a peraguin falcon .....am i right ?i t was very big, and after i took the snap another one appeared, they started dive bombing each other , not sure if it was a territorial fight or a mating ritual, the first time i have witnessed this behavior close up, made up for seeing no rabbits, and maybe explains why?

DSC00180.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thanks guys, DS i cannot remember being overly struck by the length of tail, i saw it take off and fly right in front of me and my eyes were drawn to the size of its body , then the other one quickly appeared and i was caught up in the spectacle, lol at penguin cross falcon TIS, the picture quality is poor and does it no justice when i loaded it up i thought it looked like a big pidgeon lol.

Looks like a Hawk to me :hmm:! its lacking the Dark cap of a Peregrine and the Dark Moustach stripes! the other thing that looks out of place for it to be a Pere is its wings!! a Mature Pere's wings will pretty much cross to the tip of the tail where as a first year Peregrine has a slightly longer tail until it Moults into mature Plumage.

Looking at the picture it looks like a classic shortwing Accipiter! meaning Hawk, the tail is behind the rock so it can't be seen but if you look carefully you can see where the end of its Primaries finish on shortwings, I'm probably wrong as usual....

This is a pic of a first year Pere with the slightly longer tail, the tail will be shorter when its moulted in mature Plumage :thumbs:....

Jasper

post-251-1202327742.jpg

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Actually, GHT, if one looks at the full sized version of that shot, it's quite obviously a " Sparrowhawk ". I.e The back colour. The shallow 'cap'. It's all Sparrowhawk.

BUT, using the likely size of those stones as a scaling guage? Like ye saying; Noticably big bird. And it's just too full built for a male Spar'.

So ...... logical deduction suggests Mark got it right first time. I too think Gos'.

Only thing troubling me it the apparrant lack of suitable nesting. Got any forestry plantations in that vicinity?

Ditch-shitter , i have looked at google images this evening at several of the suggested species, and the only one that seems to suggest the same size as the one i saw IS the northern goshawk, but it was an american site so dont know if that could be found in the uk, when i caught the movement on wall my first thought was that it was a cat, it really was that kinda size, just out of the photo to the left is a steep rise to some moorland almost a cliff but not quite, and to the right of view a large field away is a small scrub woodland behind a housing estate.