What size calibre bullet for deer

hi guy's, there seems to be a difference of opinions on the right size calibre bullet for hunting deer, some people are saying with correct placement a .223 will do the job, whereas many seem to favour a .243, then there's others saying .270 and .308...so, what are people using the most of for there deer hunting round....

243 and 270............alot of it depends on what weight and type of bullet you can get regular......some bullets are hard to get....

some people will do the majority of their shooting on foxes ....so the 243 is perfect and it has the advantage can be used on deer with good shot placement...........

a more dedicated hunter ..only shooting deer will proberly choose a win 270.....but dependes on the permoission you have and the ranges you shoot at.....

their isnt really a catch all calibre.....all will kill....its down to personal preference

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ditchman said:

243 and 270............alot of it depends on what weight and type of bullet you can get regular......some bullets are hard to get....

some people will do the majority of their shooting on foxes ....so the 243 is perfect and it has the advantage can be used on deer with good shot placement...........

a more dedicated hunter ..only shooting deer will proberly choose a win 270.....but dependes on the permoission you have and the ranges you shoot at.....

their isnt really a catch all calibre.....all will kill....its down to personal preference

thanks for that bud...

Hi mate , 

what species of Deer , are you going after ? 243 will drop anything in this country I really I wouldn’t go smaller than that , 270 is a fantastic round, I use 6.5x55 I have used both the others , I only use it because it kills everything very well , and without excessive recoil, if I was shooting big reds and sika all the time I would go 270 up , however if I was only going for an odd red and sika every now and again , I probably would stick to 243 , or a calibre I can get good amo availability on and one I find good to shoot with, the above calibres will not give you excessive meat damage, even on the smaller species, 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, 3175darren said:

Hi mate , 

what species of Deer , are you going after ? 243 will drop anything in this country I really I wouldn’t go smaller than that , 270 is a fantastic round, I use 6.5x55 I have used both the others , I only use it because it kills everything very well , and without excessive recoil, if I was shooting big reds and sika all the time I would go 270 up , however if I was only going for an odd red and sika every now and again , I probably would stick to 243 , or a calibre I can get good amo availability on and one I find good to shoot with, the above calibres will not give you excessive meat damage, even on the smaller species, 

thanks for that bud, there's white tail here, I've been chatting to another chap on here with some sound advise and your advice has just topped it off, i was leaning towards a 270 as well, also if i get the opportunity to get out on an elk...thanks again tho bud....Tilly 

12 minutes ago, tillylamp said:

thanks for that bud, there's white tail here, I've been chatting to another chap on here with some sound advise and your advice has just topped it off, i was leaning towards a 270 as well, also if i get the opportunity to get out on an elk...thanks again tho bud....Tilly 

Good hunting mate ,

• Like 1